Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

star gaze lily

Bought this today from a market stall. It hasn't got a label, the man said it was an Obelia (spelling) Googled this and can't find it. There are little pink flowers starting to come out and apparently the leaves change colour in the winter. It was a bargain and I liked it, so hopefully I can find out what it is. Many thanks.

Hostafan1

I do emphasise the question mark

star gaze lily

Thank you Hosta. It grows taller and wider than what the man told me, so I'll have to put it somewhere else lol. 

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

I'll go with Abelia x grandiflora - not sure which one though, thought Francis Mason had yellower leaves?

nutcutlet

agree abelia, no idea re cultivar. Looks like a nice one. Some of them have yellowish leaves, I like tis one more

Hostafan1

glad you agree nut 

star gaze lily

Thank you everyone.  

He's there every Wednesday and quite often has a bargain. It was only £4 and a good size for the price. I wanted it for the little border under the window but it will spread too much. So will have to think of somewhere else for it. And of course buy another plant for the border lol 

star gaze lily

Have looked at several types on internet and really can't decide which one it is. Some say they can be kept in a large pot and trimmed back in April. 

star gaze lily

Thank you jo, I bought it to put in a narrow border at the front under the window. But not knowing exactly which one it is, it could grow far to large to be planted there.

1Runnybeak1

That's a lovely plant Lily.  Just up my street. 

star gaze lily

I might take a photo to my favourite garden centre jo, to see if they have any idea. There seems to be a few grandifloras. Would love to put it under the window at the front, but the border us quite narrow. And I'm worried how big it could get. Can't widen the border as its the path! 

It wasn't what I was looking for at all, but it caught my eye and was a bargain too. 

Any ideas would be great 

Advertisement

star gaze lily

You could be right jo, looks very similar.  Discription says it grows to 3ft high and 4ft wide!  Which would be far too big for my little border.  Unless I kept really trimmed down!! Lol.