Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Doesn't it get dark early?!

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Gosh, it's only just 9pm and it's pitch black here! Autumn is defo on its way. No more evening pottering (boooooo). Ah well, looking forward to rusty piles of leaves and holly berries!  The fire's on!!

• Certainly is pitch black.  Just come in from planting trees.  Have to do it after son in bed, and soon ran out of light.

feet up wanting La Vuela (cycling) now, waiting for the thud when trees fall over....

• re, "watching", not "wanting"

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

The bats usually circle our garden at twilight and we haven't seen them for a couple of nights now.  I think they may have hibernated already as it is so cold.  Seemed extra black tonight though.image 

• Ooh good point.  I didn't see any bats either.  

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Do you reckon it's going to be an extra chilly winter?  I remember being told that lots of berries is mother natures warning! There are tonnes here.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

August is always the month when you really start to notice the evenings drawing back in. I'm certainly hoping for a colder winter than the last one Tootles. It might kill off a few slugs.

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

Or could be that we had a good spring resulting in an abundance of fruit and berries.  But not in my garden - my raspberries died off, probs cos they were in a part of the garden that gets water-logged in winter and for some reason my apple tree doesn't have a single apple this year.  image   But everything else has done really well image 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Tootles, the berries are a sign of what we have had, not what we will have in the future. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Not many swallows and house martins in the sky today either.  Looks like they are departing earlier than normal like the swifts did.  I always feel sad when they go back home to South Africa.