Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

dog bite,anyone know for sure?

granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I have heard that there is a new law been passed that if a dog bites some one even if the dog is protecting property  the dog has to be put down.

Does anyone know how this stands?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I think you have to go to court. Do you want the dog put down, or is it your dog?
  • It isn't that clearly defined. There has to be a court order. Bite means different things depending on the circumstances.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

No it isn't my dog s    Welsh  onion  it is someone who I know  who needs to go into hospital next week for major surgery. It makes it worse as the jogger the dogs bit was connected to the police force.the lady with her dogs I believe was on her own land when this happened.

Dave thanks I'm checking this link out,

The lady was on her own land ,it was not a public place.no other neighbours  just a lane and fields  they were in there own field and there was someone jogging on there land.the dogs ran up and for some reason bit her on the leg.apart from that I don't know the exact details.

Apart from the fact they have been

Sorry they were told there is a new law just gone through there are no exeptions .a dog bites and he is put to sleep. This is why I'm querying it.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    When you say their land, was the jogger on a footpath? Was the jogger entitled to be there?

You don't mention the breed of the dogs.

One was a lancashire Fox terrior the other a Labrador they are rescue dogs with one of them she has just paid out for surgery 8 week ago..she had been very badly treated by her owners but she is I think about 8yrs old.

Not sure about the  jogger, I couldn't ask anything she was too upset to talk.she was telling me as I too have more than one dog.and to keep them on a lead as we take them on our own short  lane.but is ours.

• It's to do with the dangerous dogs' act where a dog owner can be prosecuted if their dog is dangerous on their own land eg private property - where before they could only be prosecuted if they  were a danger on public land.  

If the dog is a banned breed it will be put down unless there is a good case not to.

They are not a banned breed,Labrador and a Lancashire Fox terrior please excuse spelling ,far as I can make out they were on there own property.this is where I'm not 100% certain.