Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dug up roses

Today I discovered 2 climbing roses that I planted a couple of weeks ago have been dug up leaving a hole were each where.

Last night (around 3 am) my dogs wanted to go out and spent about 10 mins over that side of the garden sniffing with some vigour. One dog then decided to keep barking at the window for an hour or more on and off.

Each hole is perfectly round and there was a little black, shiny fruity smelling pooh next to each hole.

I think it must have been the fox that we've seen in and around the garden recently. Must have been after the bonemeal that I'd sprinkled in the hole when planting.

I've replanted the roses but don't know now which was which ( one red one yellow)

Hopefully they won't come back for another go!

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

What a shame Lulu.  It seems unlikely to be fox poo that is 'fruity smelling' but that doesn't mean a fox didn't do the digging.  Could you replant them and put some kind of deterrent around, such as chicken wire.  I don't use BF&B because my dog finds it irresistibleimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I think it was the bonemeal that the fox was after image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I have replanted them without bonemeal so fingers crossed.......

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

The foxes here do fruity poos, they are full of berries and not god awful smelling like town fox poos at all. 

Sorry to hear about your problem Lulu, it does sound though like you have identified the culprit and the reason they were dug up. Fingers crossed for you that all will be well now.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I had to stop using FBB, because of the problem with foxes, now make do with Growmore.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I can only use it where my dog can't get to but he walks round with his nose in the air sniffing hopefully.

• They have been left unmolested overnight so hopefully that's that.

It's obviously potent stuff as one of my dogs is a real menace when I'm using it to plant something, getting his snout in the hole and the container. The other one likes to sniff all around where I keep it in a jar in the greenhouse image

• Put pepper around the plant. I get the same problem with rats, the dogs go out and dig up where ever a rat might have been