Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Evergreen climber?

With the garage conversion ongoing, I am looking at the front of it and thinking that it needs something growing up it. I can take a slab out of the driveway to allow it to be planted into the ground or I can set up a large pot. It is west facing so gets plenty of sunlight in the afternoon.

Doesn't have to be a true climber, just something I could train up. Ideally flowers and berries?

Himself HATES pyracantha...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have considered jasmine but our friends opposite already have it and don't want to be too same-y! image

I have a clematis armanii in the back garden and that is too vigorous for where I want it.

• Solanum crispum?  A 'Glasnevin' has been completely evergreen here.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • gab82gab82 Posts: 73

Clematis cirrhosa jingle bells is a evergreen climber ( winter flowering interest) reaches about ten foot. also the Cartmanii clematis type like Joe  or avalanche little smaller i think. Not sure about berries though. Know there is evergreen Honeysuckle like Harlequin which are interesting. Hope this helps sure other people will come up with more suggestions. image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Jo - Steve's OH hates Pyracantha image

Quite  a few of the smaller clematis are evergreen. I have Constance which has been virtually evergreen here. No berries of course - but the seedheads are gorgeous. Deep pink  open bell flowers, no pruning. Same aspect as you'd have. image

Boring old Cotoneaster - some of them look stunning grown against a wall. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Which cotoneaster that would be evergreen? I know horizontalis isn't.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Caught me on the hop there Steve! Couldn't name you a particular variety, but I know they can be trained up a wall - same as Euonymous. Probably some of the bigger types like Lacteus would fit the bill  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I wouldn't recommend Glasnevin Steve, it will be a huge tree before you know it. We had to cut ours down a few weeks ago, it has been cut right back every Spring, and even though it's only been there three years, this was it in August. Not that pretty either. As you see the height here, so you get that in depth, I was forever chopping it back as it grabs you as you walk past it!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I only really want something fairly flat and that can be kept to roof of ex-garage height. image