London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
7 messages
22/06/2012 at 12:33

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a suitable flowering evergreen shrub that would be planted close to an eastward facing four foot high fence?  

23/06/2012 at 08:55

Hi M.C.

I think you are going to have to be careful with your choice as the shrub will be facing east and get the sun first thing.  Trouble is, after a frost a lot of shrubs, Camellia for instance, will be damaged by the sun so early on its frosted leaves and buds. 

I suggest you look at the small leaved shrubs like some of the Hebes, Ceanothus, Chaenomeles or maybe Pyracantha (the birds will love you for the berries but your cardie won't love you for the thorns).

I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions.  There's lots more knowledgeable folk than me here. 

23/06/2012 at 23:24

Thanks Robot. I have a couple of Hebes in pots at the moment so I may transfer them. I already have a Pyracantha so I will look up Ceanothus and Chaenomeles. Once again thank you for your suggestions.

24/06/2012 at 14:26

Yes I would suggest a hebe, as they are a favourite of mine. I have Lots in my garden, planted in all aspects and they all thrive. There are so many different varieties, large, small, different leaf colours and flower colours, so there should be one to suit your conditions.

24/06/2012 at 19:32

Thanks diggingdoris. Hebes it shall be! 

24/06/2012 at 19:40

You're very welcome M.C. 

25/06/2012 at 19:34

Glad I could help. The first of my 8 different bushes is just coming to flower as I speak. Big flower spikes a bit like a bottlebrush but purple.

email image
7 messages