Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fab Gardening Programme

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi, I just wanted to share with those of you who'd love to see another gardening show on the telly. I discovered one called Beechgrove and it's absolutely brilliant. Thing is I think it's BBC Scotland. I can only find it on my iPhone and as I'm a bit of a technophobe I have no idea what channel on the normal telly that it would be on, or if indeed a normal telly can only pick it up if you live in Scotland. Anyhow, im sure those of you who are good at the internet could pick it up. Bbc I player I think. 

Sorry if this is a well known show (I must sound like a plonker for those who know the show well) but for those who like me had never heard of it, it's brilliant! Really interesting and basic gardening. For me, the content is loads more relevant than Gardeners World although I love monty, Nigel and carol! Definitely a place for both. 

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Love it tooimage.  It shows on BBC2 in England on Sunday morning - just after the repeat of Gardeners World.  I record it and then sit down for a treat on Sunday eveningimage

• I'm a big fan too. I can never work out when beechgrove and GW are on tho, so just watch on iplayer.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I'm a fan of this programme too and record it like Chicky to watch later as a treat,  I love the opening music too.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It's been around for a very long time Tootles but only started showing nationwide last winter. It's shown on Thursdays up here with the repeat on Sunday mornings along with G'sWorld. 

Jim is a bit of a legend up here as he's been presenting it since the start. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

This show got me into gardening about 35 years ago, it has always been a basic for us up north as we can be as much as three to four weeks behind the south.

a fact sheet can be emailed to you each week. As Fairy says its a bit of an institution up here! 

the community project and problem corner make it different from GW, and there is no Nigel!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

The presenter Jim reminds me of my FIL who was a Scottish dentist and a real sweety. 

• I record Beechgrove and if I'm up I watch it again on Sunday, just in case I missed anything. If you have Sky its on BBC2 Scotland channel. Good for trials as you do get to see the results. I don't remember seeing results when GW did trials.

• They use to do open days when there were in Aberdeen. They moved to a bigger plot a few years out near Banchory I think. Yes it's brilliant for us Scottish gardeners.