Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fantasy garden

This fantasy garden is for all of us to share. You can add a description of what you would like, or just cut and paste a photo of some plant or part of a garden or anything you would like to see in a garden.

I will start off with the basics.  This garden is huge, but has some small intimate rooms, where we can rest and relax, and enjoy a cuppa and a natter.

It has perfect neutral loam mainly, but there is a patch of acidic soil, and also a patch of chalky soil.

The climate is almost mediteranean. Frost only in the depths of winter, it rains during the night, but the days have blue skies and a temperature of 20 to 25 C

Slugs are restricted to the compost heap area. There are no lily beetles, vine weevils or grey squirrels or rats.

Over to you... what do you want in the perfect fantasy garden...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Can we have a grotto please ... with ferns? image

We could start off with something like this and improve on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaVE6hd9mRc

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Can we have a compost heap like the magic porridge pot?  Quite small to look at, but with a never ending supply of lovely crumbly organic matter.

And a pond with a boardwalk big enough to put a couple of chairs on so we can relax and watch/listen to the wildlife.

I'll keep my deer, but they will only eat grass.

And can we have Nutcutlet's summerhouse too pleaseimageimage

• Agree with you, but I would also add a few acres of native woodland where you can hear the owls call at night and hear bird song and woodpeckers hammering. A Running stream with ponds off and a bog garden and waterside planting.

That is all I can think of at the moment.image

• Oh, posted too slow, fidget was the only one there  just now. Yes, I would  love a grotto as well.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like fritillary's garden but with someone to do all the tree work and shredding so I can just mess around with plants

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Of course there will be a few undergardeners to do all the heavy work. and the deer only eat grass, not the hellebores.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

I'd quite like a tree house please

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/03/02/b3/0302b30c3afc26be004d22b547ac052c.jpg

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I like that. Just the place to have breakfast after my swim. Its on the edge of woodland, majestic mature oaks and beeches, and the smell coming from the sea of bluebells is intoxicating. I feel a walk coming on.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Will be thinking about this all day nowimage  But for now, can we have a big greenhouse, with a vast underground water storage tank, and plenty of room for seedlings, cuttings and an armchairimage

And how about the National Collection of delphiniums ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I think we should also have a National Collection of aphid-eating ladybirds image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.