21 to 27 of 27 messages
25/04/2014 at 21:48
KEF wrote (see)

Variegated ?   I want one, Blairs please tell me more. My 2nd fav plant in the garden.

KEF wrote (see)

Variegated ?   I want one, Blairs please tell me more. My 2nd fav plant in the garden.

Hi kef, there are 3 different types of variegated Fatsia japonica - 'variegata' which has white variegation, 'spiders web' which has a lot of white variegation and does look like a spiders web and, my favourite, 'Annelise', which is yellow variegated (and the variegation starts on the leaf stems). There is also the large leaf Fatsia japonica 'Moseri'.

The Fatsia polycarpa comes in 3 varieties, 'Edward Needham form', 'giant leaf form' and the species.

You also have the Fatshedera (a cross with hedera/ivy and Fatsia) which comes in variegated and standard.

All are hardy in the UK.

KEF
26/04/2014 at 07:29

Thanks Blairs, I will be looking at those.  

26/04/2014 at 11:28

Mine is variegata.    I remember it saying that on the label.

26/04/2014 at 13:59

There is something rather satisfying about them isn't there break23!

26/04/2014 at 16:11

I thought it was a fig when I saw it, and had recently seen something that looked like a fig growing in a garden in magazine, and was struck by how lovely and lush it was, and how it set off the surrounding flowers and foliage, so that's why I bought it!!

KEF
26/04/2014 at 17:37

break 23 neutral soil, not too wet and shade / semi shade and a Fatsia will be fine.

26/04/2014 at 18:38

KEF that makes me a bit concerned then - I think our soil, which I tested a few weeks back, is probably alkaline, and although I planted it near trees, they need to do a bit of growing.....  Free draining though

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages