Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fatsia Japonica

Hello this is the third year for my Fatsia but this spring its leaves are  looking very yellow and it has the odd faint white spots on some leaves. I have fed and mulched well and wondered could it be a result of the rains, although fortunately we had no flooding here

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Hi - do love Fatsia Japonica - however they don't like too much water - had some dodgy leaves on mine and I realised I had over watered when we had a dry spell- hope this helps

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

don't the new leaves of Fatsia always look downy and floppy?

Devon.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hosta is right, the new leaves look like that. Also agree with Tray don't water it. They do tend to yellow if they are in a sunny position. Mine doesn't look great at this time of year but as the new leaves grow my apple tree comes into leaf and shades it, so the new growth stays a dark green.  

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Agree with the above, new growth is susceptible to a number of things but quickly grows back. Wind dessicated new growth on mine this year.

• Many thanks its been looking great for the past couple of years damn rain (its been pouring here again all day in Oxfordshire).  I had a suspicion it was all the wet its in a shaded position so only gets the sun late evening, fingers crossed all will be well.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

The heavy rain over the winter may have caused a few problems too, leaching nutrition out of the soil.  I've had several Fatsias, in different gardens, and they do get a bit bleached if they get too much sun so they need a better, more moisture retentive soil if they're in that aspect, but they don't like sitting in wet ground either. The wind does give them a bit of a hiding as well. I planted one in the front border in this new garden last year but it's too exposed there, so I'll find a better location for it. They're great plants if you like a jungly look too.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I just bought a false castor oil plant - is that what this is?  It was in the poorly plants sale.  The new leaves looked a bit tragic, but they have come out now and look much better.  I just planted it in my new border. 

It often gets called that BB2. The new growth can look a bit odd compared to mature leaves.You can give them  a good tidy up once they're established too. Just take off any rubbishy looking leaves to keep a nice shape. They'll discard quite a lot of lower ones anyway. If they're in a site where they're happy, they make really big plants.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Thanks Fairy.  That is good to know.  The lower leaves were a bit ragged - looked like something had had a go at them - probably something the size of a jack russell by the look of things, but the new leaf ball at the top looked hopeful, and anything that's in the poorly plants sale at the GC owes you nothing in my book!!  I gave it a couple of weeks in the greenhouse, and just put it out when I was convinced it would cope.  Amazing how quickly it made progress.  In the new border it is between some trees that should grow to 3-5m, and will have sun in the morning but dappled shade for most of the day.  Am hoping this will be alright.  Will move if not.

I had one in a previous garden with a very similar aspect to yours. We had built a raised deck outside the dining room and I left a bit at the end of it where the kitchen extended out about 4 feet. The bed was deep and I had a clematis in with the fatsia which grew over the back door. The fatsia was protected from the midday sun by the wall of the kitchen and once it got going, it quickly grew to a couple of metres. I just took off lower leaves which were a bit rough or brown and it was always healthy and very green there. The house walls gave it plenty of protection from cold winds and weather too  image

I also used to take stems off to put in vases with daffs in the spring - they last for ages!