London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
24/04/2014 at 21:23

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43396.jpg?width=1031&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43395.jpg?width=1031&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43394.jpg?width=1031&height=350&mode=max

Hello this is the third year for my Fatsia but this spring its leaves are  looking very yellow and it has the odd faint white spots on some leaves. I have fed and mulched well and wondered could it be a result of the rains, although fortunately we had no flooding here

24/04/2014 at 22:12

Hi - do love Fatsia Japonica - however they don't like too much water - had some dodgy leaves on mine and I realised I had over watered when we had a dry spell- hope this helps

24/04/2014 at 23:06

don't the new leaves of Fatsia always look downy and floppy?

KEF
25/04/2014 at 07:42

Hosta is right, the new leaves look like that. Also agree with Tray don't water it. They do tend to yellow if they are in a sunny position. Mine doesn't look great at this time of year but as the new leaves grow my apple tree comes into leaf and shades it, so the new growth stays a dark green.  

25/04/2014 at 09:21

Agree with the above, new growth is susceptible to a number of things but quickly grows back. Wind dessicated new growth on mine this year.

25/04/2014 at 16:15

Many thanks its been looking great for the past couple of years damn rain (its been pouring here again all day in Oxfordshire).  I had a suspicion it was all the wet its in a shaded position so only gets the sun late evening, fingers crossed all will be well.

25/04/2014 at 16:27

The heavy rain over the winter may have caused a few problems too, leaching nutrition out of the soil.  I've had several Fatsias, in different gardens, and they do get a bit bleached if they get too much sun so they need a better, more moisture retentive soil if they're in that aspect, but they don't like sitting in wet ground either. The wind does give them a bit of a hiding as well. I planted one in the front border in this new garden last year but it's too exposed there, so I'll find a better location for it. They're great plants if you like a jungly look too.

25/04/2014 at 17:26

I just bought a false castor oil plant - is that what this is?  It was in the poorly plants sale.  The new leaves looked a bit tragic, but they have come out now and look much better.  I just planted it in my new border. 

25/04/2014 at 17:31

It often gets called that BB2. The new growth can look a bit odd compared to mature leaves.You can give them  a good tidy up once they're established too. Just take off any rubbishy looking leaves to keep a nice shape. They'll discard quite a lot of lower ones anyway. If they're in a site where they're happy, they make really big plants.

25/04/2014 at 18:23

Thanks Fairy.  That is good to know.  The lower leaves were a bit ragged - looked like something had had a go at them - probably something the size of a jack russell by the look of things, but the new leaf ball at the top looked hopeful, and anything that's in the poorly plants sale at the GC owes you nothing in my book!!  I gave it a couple of weeks in the greenhouse, and just put it out when I was convinced it would cope.  Amazing how quickly it made progress.  In the new border it is between some trees that should grow to 3-5m, and will have sun in the morning but dappled shade for most of the day.  Am hoping this will be alright.  Will move if not.

25/04/2014 at 18:31

I had one in a previous garden with a very similar aspect to yours. We had built a raised deck outside the dining room and I left a bit at the end of it where the kitchen extended out about 4 feet. The bed was deep and I had a clematis in with the fatsia which grew over the back door. The fatsia was protected from the midday sun by the wall of the kitchen and once it got going, it quickly grew to a couple of metres. I just took off lower leaves which were a bit rough or brown and it was always healthy and very green there. The house walls gave it plenty of protection from cold winds and weather too  

I also used to take stems off to put in vases with daffs in the spring - they last for ages!

25/04/2014 at 18:39

Much more expensive but far more beautiful is the Fatsia taiwania aka polycarpa 'needham form'. There are also varios varieties of Fatsia (I have collected them all)

KEF
25/04/2014 at 18:40

BB2 that should be fine for it as long as it doesn't get too wet, when they are mature water isn't a problem.  

Mine gets sun in winter ( if we get any) & a couple of hours in the summer, it will produce unusual "flower" heads later in the year, enjoy  They do look better without direct sun but I can't provide that. They can make very big plants but as Fairy says they are okay with pruning.

25/04/2014 at 18:42

Fairy that's inspired - would never had thought of it for flower arranging!  But I can see what you mean.  Just had a look at it as I went out to shut greenhouse.  If anything it looks happier than it did when I planted out two days ago.   It's variegated and the new leaves are green and creamy yellow and the older ones are green and whiter.  My only worry is the wind/exposure where we are.  I am hoping for a couple of metres.

KEF
25/04/2014 at 18:47

Variegated ?   I want one, Blairs please tell me more. My 2nd fav plant in the garden.

25/04/2014 at 19:04

Oh KEF - shame you weren't in the poorly plants section at our local GC three weeks back.  Other people always have the stuff you really want in my experience.  I would like Busy Lizzie's whole garden!  And Sprig's...!  And also, the person who had the Mecanopsis Sheldonii that reproduced - I wish I had that.

KEF
25/04/2014 at 19:09

BB2  I now have 2 new meconopsis, and a small leaf on the one I thought was dead. Will report back when all 3 kick the bucket

25/04/2014 at 19:10

We can play swapsies?

KEF
25/04/2014 at 19:24

Yeah, if you want a dead meconopsis in about a month best I've managed only had these last 2 for a fortnight. Not sure if new growth is a weed as yet

25/04/2014 at 19:36

Oooh well maybe I'll just hang on to the floppy fatsia for a bit longer then....

1 to 20 of 27 messages