Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Favourite gardens to visit?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Arley Hall and Gardens.

http://www.arleyhallandgardens.com/

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I love Sissinghurst (who wouldn't) as I was brought up in the south east, but I am very fond of Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire (I think).  When my son was a toddler, it was the time of the foot and mouth crisis, and although we lived in the Peak District at the time, it was very difficult to get out and about, because all the footpaths were closed off.  So we joined the National Trust.  Biddulph is very quirky - lots of themed gardens from around the world, and unexpected things - my son was always keen to rush about finding his favourite things - sculptures and tunnels and bridges - all sorts! 

• I am also a member of the RHS and living close to Wisley visit on a regular basis.

Some gardens that I have enjoyed visiting are:

• Great Dixter
    • Kew Royal Botanic Gardens
    • Sissinghurst Garden
    • Savill Gardens
    • Nymans Garden
    • Biddulph Grange Garden
    • Hidcote Manor Garden

My personal favourites are:

• RHS Wesley, Surrey. There is always something special to see no matter what the season is.
    • Bodnant Gardens, Wales. In addition to the views of Snowdonia the wooded valley and stream is stunning
    • The Walled Garden at Scapmton. Yorkshire. So many plants that I'd never come across before.
    • Ness Botanical Gardens, Ness. Cheshire. The Josiah Hope Garden lifted my spirit.

Would love to visit Beth Chatto's garden in Essex.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

I believe there is a wonderful laburnam arch at Bodnant scroggin.  Don't know if that will be out when you go.  I have always fancied seeing that.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like plants and growing things. I like  gardens with  interesting collections of unusual plants.  Beth Chatto's for one.

and smaller ones as well.

This Sunday, 21 Chapel Street Hacconby, near Bourne

e6+0qn-d:25-dr:1&id=10681]http://www.ngs.org.uk/gardens/find-a-garden/garden.aspx?search=type:advanced-pcimagee6+0qn-d:25-dr:1&id=10681

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Cherry3Cherry3 Posts: 35

I visited Anglesey Abbey as a result of reading on this forum & was blown away by the ''snowdrop walk''---I think at different times of the year there will be different gardens of interest---but, a great big but----was the lack of organisation in the restaurant; not enough staff, long queues etc etc---& it was mid week & it wasnt in school holidays!!!

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

Well mine is on the roundabout near retford turn left towards the power station its a real garden nursery lots of plants flowers shrubs the staff are great and very helpful highly recommended And also they have my business cards hung up on the door !

• Cherry3Cherry3 Posts: 35

Sounds lovely Kevin but havent a clue where Retford is!!!!!image

It's on the way to the M1.  From here anyway.  A roundabout you say?