London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
27/03/2014 at 08:32

With Easter just round the corner lots of us will try and visit a garden or two for inspiration etc.

What are peoples favourite gardens and what is it that makes them so special in your eyes.

As an RHS member I visit Wisley a lot and like the fact that there is always something to see, whatever the season. One garden that really blew me away though was Great Dixter, I visited in August when the borders were a riot of colour, I've never seen a garden to match it for its flower borders.

27/03/2014 at 09:32

Arley Hall and Gardens.

http://www.arleyhallandgardens.com/

27/03/2014 at 12:04

I love Sissinghurst (who wouldn't) as I was brought up in the south east, but I am very fond of Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire (I think).  When my son was a toddler, it was the time of the foot and mouth crisis, and although we lived in the Peak District at the time, it was very difficult to get out and about, because all the footpaths were closed off.  So we joined the National Trust.  Biddulph is very quirky - lots of themed gardens from around the world, and unexpected things - my son was always keen to rush about finding his favourite things - sculptures and tunnels and bridges - all sorts! 

27/03/2014 at 13:44

I am also a member of the RHS and living close to Wisley visit on a regular basis.

Some gardens that I have enjoyed visiting are:

• Great Dixter
  • Kew Royal Botanic Gardens
  • Sissinghurst Garden
  • Savill Gardens
  • Nymans Garden
  • Biddulph Grange Garden
  • Hidcote Manor Garden

My personal favourites are:

• RHS Wesley, Surrey. There is always something special to see no matter what the season is.
  • Bodnant Gardens, Wales. In addition to the views of Snowdonia the wooded valley and stream is stunning
  • The Walled Garden at Scapmton. Yorkshire. So many plants that I'd never come across before.
  • Ness Botanical Gardens, Ness. Cheshire. The Josiah Hope Garden lifted my spirit.

Would love to visit Beth Chatto's garden in Essex.

27/03/2014 at 14:15

Scott, thanks for the heads up on Bodnant Gardens, I'm going to Snowdonia in the middle of May on a walking holiday so hope to get a look at Bodnant while I am there.

Beth Chatto garden is well worth a visit, the dry garden gives lots of ideas, wonder how its been fairing this spring though!

27/03/2014 at 14:26

I believe there is a wonderful laburnam arch at Bodnant scroggin.  Don't know if that will be out when you go.  I have always fancied seeing that.

27/03/2014 at 14:52

I like plants and growing things. I like  gardens with  interesting collections of unusual plants.  Beth Chatto's for one.

and smaller ones as well.

This Sunday, 21 Chapel Street Hacconby, near Bourne

e6+0qn-d:25-dr:1&id=10681]http://www.ngs.org.uk/gardens/find-a-garden/garden.aspx?search=type:advanced-pce6+0qn-d:25-dr:1&id=10681

27/03/2014 at 15:15

I visited Anglesey Abbey as a result of reading on this forum & was blown away by the ''snowdrop walk''---I think at different times of the year there will be different gardens of interest---but, a great big but----was the lack of organisation in the restaurant; not enough staff, long queues etc etc---& it was mid week & it wasnt in school holidays!!!

27/03/2014 at 16:42

Well mine is on the roundabout near retford turn left towards the power station its a real garden nursery lots of plants flowers shrubs the staff are great and very helpful highly recommended And also they have my business cards hung up on the door !

27/03/2014 at 19:07

Sounds lovely Kevin but havent a clue where Retford is!!!!!

27/03/2014 at 21:13

It's on the way to the M1.  From here anyway.  A roundabout you say?

27/03/2014 at 21:28

I'm another fan of Scampston Walled Garden near Malton in a north Yorkshire, and Alnwick Gardens, Northumberland. Both quite modern and completely different to the normal National Trust type.

27/03/2014 at 22:15

RHS Harlow Carr Gardens,Harrogate,North Yorkshire is a must see for any green fingered gardener.Then into the tea rooms for a spot of " light refreashments",before  visiting the plant shop and buying all those exotic  new shrubs youve just seen, that make your neighbour jealous.

27/03/2014 at 22:39

I like Scampston walled garden, but it is my 'local'. And Burton Agnes Hall is a favourite, the canary bird rose, when it's in flower is worth the trip alone.

27/03/2014 at 22:52

The lost gardens of Heligan. Also Trebah (both in Conwall)

Harlow Carr near Harrogate, Yorkshire.

28/03/2014 at 09:12

Hi cherry 3 retford is Nottinghamshire near Lincolnshire its on bull corner 

06/06/2014 at 14:29

Our village Open Gardens is on 22nd June 2014 in Marton cum Grafton North Yorkshire - we have 18 beautiful gardens open from 11am - 5pm - £5 per adult children free.

06/06/2014 at 14:55

Just visited Kiftsgate Manor garden near Hidcote ,both are

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48354.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48355.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

stunning

06/06/2014 at 17:52

hidcote-kiftsgate-arley hall-packwood-if i could live in one ilford manor-and my alltime favorite garinish island in southern ireland-oh lord just remembered buscot park

06/06/2014 at 21:51

Has to be Stourhead, Mottisfont and Sissinghurst for me. Would like to visit Great Sister.

1 to 20 of 22 messages