Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Favourite native mammal?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've only ever seen one red squirrel , but I instantly fell for them.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

The Brown Hare image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Scroggin - love them image  When we had the smallholding I'd watch them boxing outside my kitchen window in the spring. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352
    It's probably the red squirrel (only seen 2) for me but coastal otters are jostling for top spot.

We enjoyed a magical day kayaking off the West Coast of Scotland and a couple of otters decided to join us diving and playing around the kayak for ages.They look incredibly cute and serene lying on their blacks floating in the water and are amazingly graceful swimming underwater.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

We have red squirrels (very shy), and hares here. On limestone, rabbits haven't enough soil to make burrows. We have deer here, they can be pests. European dormice (like tiny grey squirrels) live in the stone walls here. Stone Martens live in the woods.

But I like otters, which we don't have here.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039
    Bottle nosed Dolphins
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hedgehogs as they are the only one which are a real benefit to my garden and cause no damage.  No noticeable damage from aquatic mammals though, I must admit! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.