Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Feed spring bulbs

Adam urges us to "drench---- bulbs with liquid feed mixed into their water". What constitutes a good liquid feed?

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

Depends on the product. Mix the liquid feed in line with the guidelines on the packaging, and water as normal.

• Hi  Gold1locks!  Thanks for your answer, but I DO know HOW it's done. I was wondering what KIND of feed to use e.g. Miraclegro all purpose?? Miracid?? Tomorite with high potash??

• there is such a wide variety avaiulable try a couple on different plants pof the same species and see whats better maybe ????  i have heard that any seaweed based fertiliser is good for bulbs

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

Sorry Northchiel, on the Beeb boards I used to be able to check out each boarder before answering by looking at their previous posts and form a view as to whether they were a newbie or experienced. image

The ideal fertilizer is a specific bulb fertilizer, which has more phosphorus than nitrogen or potassium, typically an NPK ratio such as 5:10:5. But it is expensive stuff. Miraclegro and Phostrogen are  the two main liquid fertilizers, but their NPK balance is the opposite way round, such as 12/6/12, to encourage leafy growth and flowers. 

To be honest, I would use MiracleGro anyway. It is a lot cheaper than a special bulb fertilizer, even if some of the contents will be wasted.  

PS: I tried to write 12/6/12 using colons and it comes out like this:  12image12, so colon 6 colon must produce this  12image12