Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

Hello everyone 

Last year I had a miserable outcome from my leeks, which were small & spindly - despite digging in plenty of well rotted manure in the soil previous to planting them.  To ensure I get a better crop this year my question is, do I need to feed them again, later in the year?  And if so, with what kind of feed.  Many thanks for your replies

I dont feed mine, they are planted in ground manured the previous autumn and then watered well untill established. I make sure they are kept free from weeds and though I dont get show stoppers they are good size table leeks.

There has been a problem in some areas with leek moth which has a devastating effect on leeks, maybe this was the cause.

I don't feed them but do cut some of the top green growth off and cook with it. My way, not saying it's the done thing.

KEF, what a good idea

I tend to put organic chicken manure pellets all over my veg bed and that seems to cope with most things Am still eating fab leeks from last year.

Many thanks for the replies folks.  Maybe it was just a bad year for leeks?  But as they do have a very long growing season, I may well add a bit of chicken manure pellets late on - if they aren't doing too well.  Thanks again.   Nicki 7