London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
5 messages
29/03/2014 at 15:38

Hello everyone 

Last year I had a miserable outcome from my leeks, which were small & spindly - despite digging in plenty of well rotted manure in the soil previous to planting them.  To ensure I get a better crop this year my question is, do I need to feed them again, later in the year?  And if so, with what kind of feed.  Many thanks for your replies

29/03/2014 at 16:08

I dont feed mine, they are planted in ground manured the previous autumn and then watered well untill established. I make sure they are kept free from weeds and though I dont get show stoppers they are good size table leeks.

There has been a problem in some areas with leek moth which has a devastating effect on leeks, maybe this was the cause.

KEF
29/03/2014 at 16:54

I don't feed them but do cut some of the top green growth off and cook with it. My way, not saying it's the done thing.

29/03/2014 at 17:02

KEF, what a good idea

I tend to put organic chicken manure pellets all over my veg bed and that seems to cope with most things Am still eating fab leeks from last year.

30/03/2014 at 20:48

Many thanks for the replies folks.  Maybe it was just a bad year for leeks?  But as they do have a very long growing season, I may well add a bit of chicken manure pellets late on - if they aren't doing too well.  Thanks again.   Nicki 7

email image
5 messages