London (change)
Today 18°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
8 messages
29/11/2013 at 15:58

hi everyone,I bought a fig plant from a garden centre last spring in a pot, it has figs on.I was lucky enough to have a couple ripen.I re potted in to a larger terracotta pot in my cold greenhouse. the leaves are know dying is this normal will it be like an apple tree and shed all it's leaves and should I have in it the largest pot available in my green house ? kev oulton broad lowestoft suffolk ps hope this thread is in the right place as new to this forum. thank you.

29/11/2013 at 16:06

from what I have seen they like to grow  next to  a wall and restricted roots and the fruit  I have seen on these .I have miniature one and I know it does not like soggy feet and it does not like too much heat   .keep faith and don't re-pot to often its does not like to much movement.

29/11/2013 at 16:06

Hiya Kev

Dont worry.  The plant and,it's leaves are behaving perfectly naturally.

Oh Kev, a very warm welcome to the forum 

29/11/2013 at 16:44

Firstly thanks for a great response and warm welcome to everyone.

Verdun thank you I can now relax and let the winter do it's worst.

Flowering Rose I may try another fig outside but I am limited for space as I have packed in a patio raspberries and roses, a wildlife and fish pond , fruit trees and bushes.I love to fit in runnerbeans broad beans also.

Brumbull thanks I will read and digest all this info what more could I ask for having browsed the web here and there I'm glad I ended up here !.Also I have had a dabble with some chilli's this summer and interested in these.

thanks again for the rapid response.

29/11/2013 at 16:52

It's very kind of Brumbull to cut and paste so much information from the Reeds Nursery website  - however, he must have failed to read it properly or he would have realised that he had not included their link, so Kev could not respond to their invitation to 

However, I can personally  recommend Reeds Nursery as a reliable supplier of fruit trees and bushes, and you can email Stephen Read for advice via the link on his website

It is good form to credit the author of a piece of information by including a link to their website. 

29/11/2013 at 17:07

29/11/2013 at 18:31

Kev, there really is no mystery about fig growing. . Figs, ESP Brown Turkey, are tough, hardy plants.  Just forget about it now over winter.  Make sure you water it well next growing season

I often think much of gardenIng....whether its veg, fruit, or  made to seem complicated .  Just imagine reading a manual about walking!  It's a simple, logical awareness thing.  It's meant to be enjoyable  I have learned to experiment too realising there are  successful alternative ways of doing things.  

Oops!  I'll get my coat 

29/11/2013 at 18:46

email image
8 messages