London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
25/01/2014 at 22:38

I went with a rucksack full of essentials and loppers in hand.

Ever so pleased with what I managed to get done but after a couple of hours rain called off play, I've never been so pleased to see rain

All the brambles were cut back to a ft of their lives. Is there anything which can be used to kill them before I start digging up the roots? There are also a couple of huge tree stumps, one had new branches which I cut off.

Had a peek under the black plastic and old carpet, there could be black gold under there but random brambles and other stuff have taken root in the gaps in the plastic where the wind has taken it away. Thought it best to leave it well alone for now untill I'm ready to dig over.  

26/01/2014 at 06:50

hello did you take a photo before you started on your allotment ??

could we have a look ?? go on post your photo please

Clueless

26/01/2014 at 07:57

I'm a real nerd when it comes to taking 'before & after' photos. The wife just shakes her head at me in a sorrowful way!

But, you can't beat having the evidence of your hard work.

26/01/2014 at 08:50

Hope you're not feeling too stiff and sore after your first stint Zoomer   

With the brambles, I find it's best to dig them up as thoroughly as you can, trying to get all the tiny roots - it's much easier at this time of year when the soil is soft.  Then if and when any remaining roots begin to grow, that's the time to give those tiny green leaves a good dose of weedkiller containing glyphosate - keep on top of it and you'll beat them 

And like Chris says, before and after pics are good for the soul!

26/01/2014 at 09:05

Well done zoomer......huge satisfaction though eh?  Not too bothered about seeing the  evidence of all your hard work...it's clear how much effort you put in.

Digging over when the ground is a bit drier makes sense..  Bramble roots usually aren't too deep and, with a stout pair of gloves on, it's surprising how much of them you can pull up from a single root.  Personally, brambles aren't the most difficult weed to eradicate.

26/01/2014 at 13:23
Hi Zoomer just a thought ,as i made this mistake on our last allotment,dont use rubber backed carpets,they are no good for the soil,, also you might want to consider the no digging beds, we did raised no dig beds saved us a huge amount of work and looks clean and tidy with narrow paths in between, and you only have to do them once they work very well good luck.
26/01/2014 at 17:09

Took a camera but the batteries were dead . A friend arrived though as I was packing up, with children in tow, decked in wellies and took some pics on her phone, she's going to see if her OH can e-mail them to me. Will get some batteries though and take some pics next weekend.

Was a little stiff this morning. A nice young man yesterday told me about the rabbits and squirels. It's rained most of today but the morning wasn't wasted, I've ordered some chicken wire, there are no fences on three sides and I've been checking out how to build a fence to keep the critters out.

Also bought some wellies and roundup which I may just use on the tree stumps. I've a donated wheel barrow to collect too.

It still looks a daunting challenge ...everyone's encouragment on the forum has been a real plus though. I had a walk up the allotment to see how the other newbie's were getting on, this could be a hare and tortoise race, me being a tortoise but weather permitting I'm going to go each weekend morning untill the nights start to draw out...a lot can be done in 2 to 3 hrs.

Need to re think the back garden too. I've used the no dig principle there and was thinking of using the big boulders and stones on the allotment to define beds and paths.

26/01/2014 at 19:05

So pleased it has started so well for you , keep it it up

mad idea but could use the tree stumps as seats ?

we have had a problem on my allotment site with rodents living under carpets , so take care

27/01/2014 at 11:53
i think the best thing we did was get a shed,trouble is once u have one you cant do without it, as the tool collection starts, tea and coffee jars small camp stove and your away into need more shelves mode its great and we laid an old carpet down the other allotmenteers all smiled but the difference in winter was considerable so we put another old one on top again all snug as ,and so did some of the others ,whos smiling now we thought, an old shower curtain helped as well across the window at night, old scaffold boards left over from the raised beds became table and seats, we dug a small pond and the frogs moved in in summer it was busy ,nice people allotmenteers all helpful,and in winter id sit with mi coffee and just enjoy it all and planning away for the next season,cant beat it.
27/01/2014 at 18:23

Glad to hear you have made a start Zoomer!  

All the very best with it! 

28/01/2014 at 20:53

The shed might have to wait for now, just bought a load of chicken wire to keep out the rabbits...one needs to speculate in order to acumulate...

31/01/2014 at 22:26

My mum's got an allotment with a cute , tidy shed ideal to have a cuppa from a flask & shelter from the rain.

However, last year a new shed appeared about 30 yards from my mum's, along with a single mattress. The plot is still a mess, but the owner & his partner seem to spend ages in the shed I assume having tea, even when it's not raining!!!

These people leave the allotment site without a hint of sheepishness.

31/01/2014 at 23:03

01/02/2014 at 00:04
Ha ha lawnmower Chris.......will stop posting now everyone knows where my allotment is and that I am a fraud
01/02/2014 at 07:16

Your secrets out now. Don't be embarressed T-N .

What was the decor like?

KEF
01/02/2014 at 08:32

Tracey you can't have the shed everyday, you must share.

Chris, isn't that what used to happen on Bread? Freddie Boswell lived in the shed & Lilow Lil used to visit for tea

01/02/2014 at 08:34

I think it's the 'sharing' Chris is talking about 

KEF
01/02/2014 at 08:37

Dove

01/02/2014 at 08:59
http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36836.jpeg?width=350

01/02/2014 at 09:33

Brilliant! When I was married we had a young male neighbour for a while and there was a shed just the other side of our garage. My husband came in laughing one night and said 'look out the window'. Let's just say it wasn't a stormy night- but that shed was shifting like there was a tornado.....

I kept hoping it would fall apart and they'd be exposed like a Benny Hill type sketch! 

1 to 20 of 27 messages