London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
9 messages
09/08/2013 at 20:55

hi all, im new to this site and looking for some advise..I would like to get either my first greenhouse or potting shed but there is so much information out there Im not sure where to begin..  i have had little plastic lean too in the past but its time to move on to the next stage Thanks in advance

09/08/2013 at 20:58

Greenhouses are so much more useful than potting sheds, I think.

Go for the biggest one you can. It will still turn out to be too small in the end.

09/08/2013 at 21:23

is that because of the amount of light? im getting a 10 x 10 base put in next wk

09/08/2013 at 22:20

A greenhouse can be used as a potting shed but not vice versa.

You will never have enough room in your greenhouse. There will always be something more you want to grow.

09/08/2013 at 22:59

Ive  had in all 4 greenhouses in my life time of gardening and if your willing to read a bit of a long advice thread ?

Then here it is,

First of all the best place to look is the local papers that sell everything from cars to gardening stuff,

These local to your area will have second hand greenhouse's at a fraction of the price of a new one and depending on what the frame of the house is made of ie wood or alloy will be a factor to think about "but "more about this subject of alloy or wood later,

The advantage of second hand is you've a good chance of getting the staging thrown in with the sale or at a very good price and heater etc etc ,

most people who are selling second hand are moving or have just decided to give up greenhouse work.

Now you may have to take down the greenhouse and if its one of the metal ones then the glass should be held in place via metal clips & these are easy to remove and if you use warm water on the glass you'll find each piece will come out of the frame easy.

Or a hair dryer can also do a good job of loosening the glass from the rubber seal.

TIP? mark every section of the frame so you'll know we're each piece will fit back when errecting,

IE 1r 2r 3r (1 right side) 2r = 2 rightside and then for the left side just continue to mark that side. And so on.

Its not as hard as one may think to re-errect an greenhouse if you mark and put down on paper the location of each section & the ends & sides can be taken as one section ie right side stays as one right side, the door end stays as a door end etc etc this will give you on a normal two sided and two ended greenhouse four sections to put back together, the roof again can be removed in sections.

Wooden frames are a better heat retainer than metal "but wood tends to have problems as they can rot,

Metal dont rot and need little care.

Secondhand greenhouses really can save you a fortune.

I feel glass rather than plastic is much better and last a lot longer.

Ref potting,

Ive a potting plastic enclosed section thats sitting on the staging in my greenhouse and the bags of compost are under the staging, so i use the greenhouse as both.

Hope this has given you an idea how to save money and still have a greenhouse.

09/08/2013 at 23:35

Yes it has thank you,  from both your responses and what I have read online, it's looking like the greenhouse is the way to go 

09/08/2013 at 23:51

I bought a green house of ebay last week for only £30.00 (2.35mx1.80m)

so yes it pays to look around I was lucky 

I'm in no rush to put up my green house but you should do all your ground work first 

make sure your base is good and level, remember it will last a life time so your base should reflect this take time on your base add a water system and electricty is a plus for lighting, heat plan it for a life time of growing it will pay off

as long as my green house is up for March I'll be happy

James

26/10/2014 at 20:28

I have been given the option of having a second greenhouse or a potting shed but I think this has just helped me make up mind - another greenhouse it shall be! I think!!

27/10/2014 at 00:20
Quite naturally. One develops an interest in gardening. Why not? To be honest. Please stop, stand still and think. Whatever your general outlook upon life might be. Gardening and human life have so much in common. So as our general everyday interest develop, so do our gardening wants, and wishes also. So yes. A greenhouse. Truly this is such a benefit to any garden. Regardless of size. It offers the gardener the chance to sow seeds a bit earlier in the season. Then for the more advanced. Seeding, pricking out, potting on and growing on to perfection. So choosing a greenhouse. Something like a classroom equastion. Ambition. divided by, available finance. Considerations.. So perhaps the money might not be such a problem. So the size of a greenhouse. Consider the area of land you have, Then take into account the type of plants you wish to grow and cultivate. Then if you think you are serious. What about ventilation in the summer, and heating in the winter.
email image
9 messages