Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

First Spring Flowers

biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

Lost my photinia Red Robin to the storms yesterday - up'd sticks and charged off down the garden - all 4ft of it! On extricating the poor soul from the shrubbery spotted my 1st Iris in flower (Wonderful sapphire blue) 1st Daffodil in flower. Definately not open the day before when I was weeding. Such a joy to see the 1st flowers. Anyone else seen their's yet?

• We have beautiful sky-blue periwinkles (vinca major) and gorgeous little sweet violets (viola odorata) smiling up at us when the sun shines image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I have my first Helleborus niger that's come back foe a second year and has grownimage. Feeling chuffed.

lots of snowdrops, aconites and other hellebores. Cyclamen coum and Crocus tommasinianus.

Not quite any narcissi, but some little irises in the cold GH. Hardy enough but I thought they'd drown in their pot outside. 

and a selection of scented winter flowering shrubs.

It will soon be spring (please)

and pulmonaria rubra, lots now and a few other pulmonarias

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

My Helleborus Niger are nowhere to be found and Cyclamen coum are waving a few pathetic leaves at me! You are so lucky! Just walked the dog and found first dandelion - Ok not a favourite with everyone but so cheerful and great for Dandelion Jam a little later in the year.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I love dandelions image

I've planted so much to keep me cheerful through the winter that I sometimes get flowering gaps later on

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

The first of my reticulata Irises opened yesterday (pic on David's camera thread) 'Purple Gem'. I've got cyclamen with lots of flowers, white and cream violas, polyanthus which haven't stopped producing flowers since I bought them nearly a year ago, plenty of buds on snowdrops about to open, and the Christmas box (Sarcococca) is flowering away. There's a dianthus which has had several little buds half opened for ages - poor thing's very confused. It's as though it's waiting for just the right moment to open them properly. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Snowdrops flowering since mid December out the sunny front and just starting in the shadier spots.   Cyclamen in the ground have finished now but the ones in my hanging baskets are still flowering, hellebores starting early and flowering for a couple of weeks now but no flowers yet on crocuses or daffs which are only just poking their noses through.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

Seems I'm behind all of you, and I thought it was really early! Still let's face it you can't beat the very first blooms of the season in your own garden. Shows the earth is stirring again despite all the floods and horrors. For budding travellers by the way - Brittany is underwater like Somerset. We were supposed to have a break there last week - Cancelled it and pulled the shutters down! Here in Normandy, we haven't had the floods, but this wind just doesn't stop.

• The first Helleborus orientalis opened today - a nice pink colour. I love to turn them up to see their faces. The winter aconites are a lovely splash of yellow.

• Crocus is the first in my garden and what a surprise they were. The former owner must have naturalised them into the lawn beneath our magnolias many years back. Looking forward to see what other suprises the garden has for us.

• I have dashed out into the garden between downpours, and spotted some  sweet violets, little pale mauve periwinkles, winter jasmine, self sown primroses (which the mice love) and ivy leaved toadflax in flower.

I have a white hellebore sheltering by the front of the house and hadn't realised that it is smothered in flowers.

I think this is a great thread as you don't realise how much is flowering despite the weather.