London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
19/02/2014 at 10:17

Hi ! 

I am a first time gardener and have been given some hanging baskets by my friend. 

I have been told how to correctly set up the baskets and they are ready for me to choose my flowers and plants and put them in my new garden... however I need some advise on what to choose

I would love the flowers to be as colorful as possible and to live happily in my garden throughout the spring and summer. 

As I am a beginner I would like them to be easy to maintain but beautiful to look at! 

My garden gets sunshine throughout most of the day...

All advise is greatly appreciated 

19/02/2014 at 10:20

Hi Saff Brum put some great pics up on baskets last week ava look they are really good,

19/02/2014 at 10:24

Will do, thanks Alan 

19/02/2014 at 11:34

Saffron, have a look on here. You will find a great selection of books new and used on hanging baskets. I have the one from the RHS with excellent information!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=hanging+baskets&sprefix=hanging+%2Cstripbooks%2C264

19/02/2014 at 13:27

Thanks so much Sue, 

Had not even thought of that ! 

19/02/2014 at 16:08

hi everyone, my local aldi are selling hanging baskets with tomatoes to grow in them, is this a good idea before i buy one ?  thanks

19/02/2014 at 16:37

That sounds like a good idea Jill...lets wait to hear back from a professional !

How much are they selling them for ?

19/02/2014 at 18:54

Hello.  I grew Tumbling Tom last year in a hanging basket. It was great from a novelty point of view but did not produce much fruit unfortunately.  

19/02/2014 at 18:59

In terms of hanging baskets I always grow Trailing Lobelia, Geraniums, Fuchsias, and Petunia surfinia.  

19/02/2014 at 19:01

Just a cautionary note - while it's definitely the time for making plans, it's far too early to start planting up hanging baskets etc, unless you have a frostfree greenhouse to keep them in. 

19/02/2014 at 19:19

Hi Saffron

I like fuschias and put them in my hanging basket last year:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37868.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Unfortunately I can't remember the names of the blue, purple and red flowers. Think I did quite well for my first attempt. (Can you spot me behind the basket )

My basket had holes in the body, and one plant each went in them. I then had six plants round the top and one in the middle.  The trick was keeping the thing alive, it required watering on a daily basis 

I have to admit, I may have gone a bit bonkers this year as I have bought 4 new GIGANTIC baskets to fill  

Hope this helps

19/02/2014 at 19:41

Hi Saffron they sre 4.99 inc compost basket and fruit

19/02/2014 at 20:06

Hi Dove, thanks for advice not going to put any up yet

19/02/2014 at 20:53

Why not put some Violas in until Summer? they are very cheap and very cheerful

20/02/2014 at 10:37

Hi everyone, 

Just gathering ideas for now... could only imagine my disappointment if I went in full steam ahead and all my flowers died from the cold miserable weather !

plus I certainly wont be outside admiring my creations in this ! 

so thanks for the advise Dove.

However violas could be good to have a practice with if they are cheap 

Allium, seemed like a great idea but yeah im hoping to have some juicy tomatoes at the end of it maybe I will try something else... Think i will scrap that idea, thanks anyway Jill 

Have looked up the names you recommended, they all look great! 

Panda... Your looking great may i say  haha! 

the basket looks just how i want it, will deffo use for inspiration... good luck with the big ones this year ! 

20/02/2014 at 12:18
Saffron Sunshine wrote (see)

.... I need some advise on what to choose

I would love the flowers to be as colorful as possible and to live happily in my garden throughout the spring and summer. 

As I am a beginner I would like them to be easy to maintain but beautiful to look at! 

My garden gets sunshine throughout most of the day...All advise is greatly appreciated 

Ivy leaved geranium, trailing lobelia, those little sempervirens begonias, bedding-type petunias .... 

all easily available quite cheaply from the garden centre late May/early June which is a safe time to be planting up and hanging your basket out.

Another plant worth considering are the non-trailing types of nasturtiums. 

20/02/2014 at 16:01

Try getting a book or two from your library - we need to use these alot so they don't get closed anyway.  You can make as many notes as you like, and don't have to buy the book - unless you fall in love with it, when you can get it from a book shop!  

Hanging baskets are wonderful, but you need to remember them!  A day or two forgetting to water will end in early death - hard to think about that just now as it rains for the umpteenth day in a row!

20/02/2014 at 19:11

Saffron, thanks for the compliment  

I wish you well for your basket. I did mine around March/April last year and was very lucky! I currently have two in action at the moment, one with Violas and one with wallflowers! I can't wait till I can get to set 'em up again! 

20/02/2014 at 20:57

Panda, I love hanging baskets too, yours look gorgeous. 

20/02/2014 at 22:23

I am going to grow tomatoes in hanging baskets as someone has mentioned.  Tumbling Tom (I think) in red and yellow.  I'm also going to put strawberries in one.  As well as those I am going to attempt some flower ones too 

1 to 20 of 24 messages