Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Flowers or plants with the name Sharon

Hi folks are there any plants or flowers with the name Sharon. I know there is the Rose of Sharon but is there anything else. I wanted to buy my wife something with her namesake on it. Like i said i know about the rose but she is not very keen on roses.

• I don't think it is a rose... I call my hibiscus 'rose of sharon'. Someone with more knowledge will be along in a minute.

• ShanijoShanijo Posts: 13
    Thanks outdoor girl. Im new to gardening and i presumed with a name like that it was a rose. Lol . You are correct it is an Hibiscus so i think i will get some of those. Thankyou for your advise.
  • They're beautiful plants. Get lovely and big in not much time. Especially love the yellow version. Outdoor girl is right - it is the hibiscus family, not a rose.

• Alternatively you could splash out on a Sharon Fruit Tree which can be grown in a container.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I will never forget including Hypericum Calycinum ( rose of sharon ) in a planting scheme proposal at garden design college. Our tutor drew a big red ring around it and wrote " nasty little plant" he was right, and I've never used it again.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes, there are several different plants known as Rose of Sharon - I hope Shanijo gets the hibiscus and not the hypericum. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

the shortcomings of Common names? I hope you had a good day yesterday Dove.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

It was a really lovely day thanks Hostafan image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I have a large Rose of Sharon which i grew from what was basically a twig.

Its about 6 feet tall now but has never flowered image

I did move it into the garden from its container into a lovely sunny spot so fingers crossed this year it will flower for me.