London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
12 messages
27/06/2014 at 15:01

Hello Fellow Gardeners,

Novice greenhouse gardener. Planted a cucumber excited when flowers appeared followed by two wonderful fruits.

Now many more flowers but not developing into anything.

Do I have to remove these small non developing fruits?

Please anyone advise

27/06/2014 at 16:16

Help required please 

Edd
27/06/2014 at 16:28

It depends on the variety and how they are pollinated. Have a check on your seed packet. You may get loads of the pollen bearing flowers first, to make sure there's enough pollen round to form the fruits. but please do check your instructions.

27/06/2014 at 17:00

We need a cucumber expert to step forward here! 

I know that there are two types of cucumber. One type has both male and female flowers on it and one only produces female flowers (F1 types are usually the latter). If you have ones that make both types of flowers I know that you are supposed to remove the male flowers before they get a chance to pollinate the female ones, otherwise the cucumbers turn bitter. (There is a feminist message in here I think).

I don't know enough about the sex lives of cucumber plants to understand how a female-only plant can produce fruits that, as they are unviable, don't just drop off, as any other plant's fruit would do.

Do you know the variety of cucumber you have? Have you seen flowers with little mini cucumbers behind them and flowers with no mini cucumber behind them on the same plant?

Not much help in answering your question, but someone else may be able to pull it all together for both of us!

Lyn
27/06/2014 at 20:18

Bumping up for a cucumber expert! 

KEF
28/06/2014 at 07:53
bump
28/06/2014 at 12:39
Calling all cucumber experts! I'm dying to know the answer to this.
28/06/2014 at 13:00

Because they've been bred that way.   Why don't seedless grapes all fall off?  Same answer.  Not helping, am I?!

28/06/2014 at 15:42
Er, I'm as confused as ever, but nothing new there. Where do we leave JG and her original question?
28/06/2014 at 15:46

We really need Jennie to tell us the variety as they vary so much (due to the way they've been bred.)  There's not a universal answer unfortunately.

Edd
28/06/2014 at 22:24
It is normal for cucumbers to produce only male flowers at first. Female flowers will have a swelling below the petals which contains the ovaries that develop into cucumbers. Check your flowers to see if they are male; this would explain the absence of fruit. Watch for female flowers to develop within a week to 10 days of the first male flowers. It is thought that the benefit of this to the plant is that by the time female flowers do appear, the male flowers have already started to attract pollinators.
As far as fertilization goes, avoid overfertilizing with nitrogen as this will promote vine/vegetative growth more than flower and fruit production. From a Purdue University fact sheet: Add a complete fertilizer such as 4-8-5 or 6-10-10 or similar analysis at a rate of 1 to 2 tablespoons per hill prior to planting. Nitrogen is readily leached from light, sandy soils. Ensure an adequate nitrogen supply by side-dressing with ammonium nitrate (33-0-0) or similar analysis at the rate of 1 tablespoon per hill 1 week after blossoming begins. Make a second application 3 weeks later. ( i would love to give pics but they are not working. i Will try Monday. (sorry no icons ).
04/07/2014 at 10:31

I thank you all for your responses.

Edd you have given me a much greater understanding of the  cucumber plant.

I could not check my variety as per seed packet as I was given the cucumber as a very small seedling and grew it on.

I still have no more cucumbers!!! many flowers with little cucumbers but they are not coming to anything like the early ones did.

I will keep a keen eye on them .Next year I will grow my own from seed and keep the packet for reference.

email image
12 messages