London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 62 messages
28/03/2013 at 16:34

My very ancient bright yellow fleece. Lovely and warm, Makes gardening in all weathers a pleasure, and my lovely soft leather gardening gloves. Don't know what I will do when they wear out , but so far are brilliant - had them to move in so that's 3 years

28/03/2013 at 17:40

As I'm a fair weather gardener, anything I don't mind getting spoilt. No need for a coat. Now have long sleeved tops to protect my arms.  Silly leopard print clog thingys and pink gardening gloves - most important item as they protect my painted nails. I don't think I am taking this very seriously.

28/03/2013 at 17:44

Yep, my 'gardening boots' like you, Brumbull (I bought steel toecap work boots as they are VAT free ) and a pair of Dickies 'builders' trousers with replaceable padded knee inserts (invaluable!) and lots and lots of pockets.

28/03/2013 at 17:56

TT  ! Am I unusual- I hate wearing gloves in the garden unless it's to  heave something out or around like rocks, stumps etc. Can you get those trousers in women's sizes Bob? I think I'd like them  Seriously!

28/03/2013 at 17:59

No Fairygirl, I'm just vain.  I actually hate wearing gloves, but my nails win hands down.

28/03/2013 at 18:08

Have a look at the workwear section at the screwfix site to see the sort of things available, Fairygirl.  I'm not sure the womens trousers there have kneepads, but I'm sure you could find a pair of the mens which would fit though - waist sizes go from 28" to 48"!

28/03/2013 at 18:20

Are you saying I'm fat Bob?? If the kids come back with Easter eggs on Sunday I might need those 48" ones! I'm a bit concerned that the women's ones don't have knee pads- sexual discrimination there!!  I have a sewing machine so it won't be a problem!  And now I need to go and make the tea or I'll still be sitting here at 8pm 

28/03/2013 at 18:20
I am impulsive. I have come home in a suit to plant onion sets or decide to plant something first thing in the morning and do,so,in my slippers......yes! No comments please, I am a slippers man. This because I used to wear out my,socks so,quickly that I thought slippers would be good idea.
Can't be bothered to change sometime so I just impatiently do something in the garden.
28/03/2013 at 18:28

My doc marten's, body warmer and my disposable one touch gloves if warm enough the body warmer will come off but that looks a wile away yet.

28/03/2013 at 18:45

My long armed gardening gloves are my favourite. Ones recommended by the RHS. They stop all those painful scratches in the middle of thorny bushes, nettles, and so on.

I also try to wear old clothes for gardening- but forget that plan in my enthusiasm and end up ruining slippers, good jumpers and posh trousers.Ah well!

28/03/2013 at 18:52

I usually wear old jeans, an old pullover (T shirt in summer) and wellies. I aways wear gloves for weeding, never know what might attack you - forgotten rose pruning, baby stinging nettle, slugs(ugh).

28/03/2013 at 18:53
Verdun wrote (see)
I am impulsive. I have come home in a suit to plant onion sets or decide to plant something first thing in the morning and do,so,in my slippers......yes! No comments please, I am a slippers man. This because I used to wear out my,socks so,quickly that I thought slippers would be good idea.
Can't be bothered to change sometime so I just impatiently do something in the garden.

I quite often garden in my nightclothes when the weather's OK.  Sit and have breakfast, notice something needs sorting and before I know it, it's lunchtime.  Good job my neighbours work!

28/03/2013 at 19:04

When the weather warms up my gardening gear is just a thong. but at the moment its as many layers as I can still just about move in.. 

On a serious note I have decided that I need an allocated pair of gardening trousers and maybe a thin fleece.. No idea where to start looking for them though.. Any thoughts?

28/03/2013 at 19:06

Don't appologise Verdun, I became a slippers man at Chrismas (they were a prezzie) and I wear them almost all the time now.. Im converted

28/03/2013 at 19:09
I look a bit like an old bag lady when I am gardening and it is cold
Pam LL x
28/03/2013 at 19:14

discodave you will get a good cheap pair of cargo trousers at matalan and a good track suit top at direct sports also cheap great for gardening.

28/03/2013 at 19:19

whats matalan? 

28/03/2013 at 19:23

Dave it's a large cheap price clothes outlet just google it to find your nearest store.

28/03/2013 at 19:25

discodave can u post a photo of u gardening in a thong?? haha not good for nettles/brambles!!!

28/03/2013 at 19:29

Steel toecap wellies, jodpurs, t-shirt (fleece if it's cold), and a bandana to keep the hair out of my eyes.  Somehow it always seems to escape the scrunchie when it's in pony tail.  Always, always gloves, do NOT like creepy crawlies.  Recently bought some knee pads, will see how I get on with them when the weather warms up.  Also use the pockets on the fleece for all the bits I tend to walk around with, secateurs, string, twisty ties (also good for when the scrunchie blows away), folding pruning saw, weeding knife.  Probably why I wear gloves, otherwise I'd lose a finger every time I put my hands in my pockets!

1 to 20 of 62 messages