London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
61 to 80 of 245 messages
26/03/2013 at 20:58

26/03/2013 at 22:10

This is really interesting- mind you it is still very hard to get my head round who is who.

On dating sites I use honey or lovely or any other stupid name but always with 71449 tagged on the end. Before you ask- 7 my fave number, 2X7=14 and 7X7=49 so 7 14  49- yes I am a Maths teacher!!

This forum really is a godsend especially in this dreadful weather

26/03/2013 at 22:32
Well, Bev, , we know bit more about you...you're a teacher of mathematics with a fixation on the number 7 ! I also know you are female when before I thought Bev was a bloke.
Is your garden thinking influenced by numbers? Maybe planting in threes....prob sevens?? I suspect though yours is prob an organised one
26/03/2013 at 22:38

Nutcutlet does sound like an endearment. I like GG's photo with her cute dogs, it suits her name. I hope you don't think, Verdun, that I thought it was you who caused the upset. I read it all and thought you were the innocent wronged party.

26/03/2013 at 22:42
Busy-Lizzie wrote (see)

Nutcutlet does sound like an endearment. 

Yes, I'm confident that that is the case 

26/03/2013 at 22:43
No busy lizzie, that's fine. It's good to be able to refer to it now on a thread where we can all understand each other a bit more.
I feel the forum has become a much nicer and friendlier forum over the past week or so...nice to be a part of it
26/03/2013 at 22:57

Well said Verdun. I've been made to feel very welcome and perhaps the lousy weather and therefore lack of gardening has meant we've all been talking lots of rubbish, getting to know each other and having a laugh  which has been really nice. I need to go to bed now. Goodnight all. Tomorrow might be warmer 

26/03/2013 at 23:06

Loving this thread as I did the equilivant one on the old beeb forum.

My name comes from a Camellia in my garden whose name I could never remember and came over with me from the beeb site. Never tried to use my real name - Janet, but by the sounds of it, I might have needed Bev to help me with the numbers needed to  follow it.

My Camellia usually flowers in April - possibly later this year... I'll post a picture or change my pic.

26/03/2013 at 23:22
Well hello Janet..daintiness. Not enough info about you but I think you prob sre a very gentle person and certainly not a rock chick. Ha ha
I think camellia Daintiness was bred in Cornwall...my county. So I know now that you also have good taste in plants.
26/03/2013 at 23:30
I must think of a decent name to use in future - perhaps Pentillie where I was born, in Cornwall. Must think about it when I get back from hols - I'm obviously not as imaginative as some of you on these threads!
26/03/2013 at 23:35

Guess my user name could conjure up someone always in a rush who whizzes along getting everything done at break neck speed, sorry to disappoint, I'm more laid back and reclining than the name suggests.

To cut to the chase, one evening whilst reminiscing with family, saying how grand life had turned out, we got to talking about what we were like as children. I'm the youngest of five and apparently when learning to talk couldn't pronounce my name, so would announce to everyone, much to their amusment, I was called Loomer. At about the same time as this family gathering, people were just starting to e-mail but not always using their real name, the internet, me thinks hadn't been invented then, we had a very amusing evening saying what each other should call themselves on e-mail

When I first signed up on a garden forum, didn't know much about gardening and Loomer was not a name I was about to sign up asso thought of something which rhymed, Bloomer wasn't even in the stakes, so it was Zoomer.       

26/03/2013 at 23:38
Dmball, lots of Cornish guys on the forum...far more than I realised. Your handle has to have a Cornish connection!
27/03/2013 at 08:01
Daintiness wrote (see)

Loving this thread as I did the equilivant one on the old beeb forum.

My name comes from a Camellia in my garden whose name I could never remember and came over with me from the beeb site. Never tried to use my real name - Janet, but by the sounds of it, I might have needed Bev to help me with the numbers needed to  follow it.

My Camellia usually flowers in April - possibly later this year... I'll post a picture or change my pic.

Think all the camellias up here will flower well this year as it was so wet last summer for the buds forming.They're beautiful- another one for me to add to this garden once I get it under way.  Have to go and move all my books now as the man coming later to do the sky tv. At least I can record all the things I'd like to see when I've fallen asleep on settee Have a good day everyone and stay warm

27/03/2013 at 08:54
In Cornwall many large gardens are opening to show off the magnolias, Rhodos, azaleas and camellias.
Most of Cornwall is great for these plants and they can be seen everywhere but, where I live......not far from the coast.....the soil is more alkaline. So Rhodos and azaleas grow in pots but can grow camellias in the garden.
A lot of camellia breeding took place in Cornwall via J C Williams at
Caernays Castle
27/03/2013 at 09:46

I love Cornwall, had a wonderful holiday there 2 years ago. Bought lots of plants, but had to be careful when choosing as we have limestone with clay pockets and very little topsoil. It can be very cold in winter and very hot in summer. No acid loving plants for me! I have a dwarf rhododendron in a pot because I love them. When we lived in Kent I had lots.

27/03/2013 at 10:17
Verdun, Pentillie is the name of the castle I was born in, high above the Tamar, with views across to Dartmoor.
Much as I love the area and the beaches near Cawsand, I prefer the wild West, especially the coast road from St.Ives to Cape Cornwall, via Zennor - although as a gardener I might find that area a bit challenging!
What part of Cornwall are you?
27/03/2013 at 10:22

There was a song called Come into the garden Maud, and a chap i went out with thought he was beoing clever when he found out that i was a florist put the 2 together and now there is a whole load of people that call me Maud.

27/03/2013 at 10:38

dmball, I think Pentillie is a great name. Much more interesting than 'Surbiton' where I was born and which has a distinct lack of castles!

27/03/2013 at 10:44

Many thanks for all the suggestions. The artist formerly known as Nigelcoad is now punkdoc

27/03/2013 at 10:46

YAY, I thought it had a good ring to it. welcome Punkdoc 

61 to 80 of 245 messages