London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
4 messages
30/04/2014 at 12:52

Is it too early to sow French beans in the garden as  the soil is much warmer this year than the same time last year. Having said that the forecast for the weekend is for colder nights here in Essex, so I'm unsure what to do.

I've started some runner seeds off on wet kitchen roll and now planted in pots in my cold greenhouse. Maybe I can do the same with the French ones. Hope someone can help.

30/04/2014 at 13:09

I've not grown Blue Lake, but this site says wait until all danger of frost has passed  http://www.seedaholic.com/bean-french-bean-blue-lake.html.

I'm growing Buerre de Rocquencourt wax beans this year as well as runners, and I understand that the BdeR are happy with cool nights, so I'll sow them soon - but leave the runners until later in May.  I'll direct sow the wax beans - not sure whether I'll start the runners off in the mini greenhouse or direct sow - it'll depend on how the weather is after the cold snap of this weekend. 

01/05/2014 at 00:31

I sowed Blue Lake last week (21 April) in the greenhouse.  They started emerging yesterday.  I hope the danger of frost will have gone by the time they are ready to go out.

01/05/2014 at 14:08

That's what I was hoping Welshonion. Mine are on the windowsill indoors and hope to put them in the greenhouse after the cold snap, then out into prepared beds.

email image
4 messages