Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

From 24 degrees on Sunday to the first snow today!

Haven't been on here for a while but the weather changes are quite severe here so thought I would just pop a post, we were swimming in the lake behind our dacha yesterday , water is a nippy 12 degrees but very invigorating ...this was our first snow this morning brrrrr, we will be sitting in front of a nice log fire this evening for sureimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Brrrrrrrr!  Courgettes still fruiting here ... just image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Cheers Dovefromabove.....managed to get these in from the frost as they were still growing......we will now be pickeling for the next few days these and all the other veg for the cold winter ahead.....you always need a nicely pickled cucumber with a shot of good vodka in front of an open fireimage

• Not too bad thank you jo47 despite all the sanctions here , still manage to sneak in some English favorites from M & S , I would like to hear what you guys would miss most if you were in our situation?image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Hard to say as we don't know what you can and can't get there.

When we first moved to Belgium 20 odd years ago I missed being able to go and get a good curry so I started making my own pastes and sauces and mango chutney and lime pickle but now I can buy good pastes and mango chutney from a supermarket 20kms away - or pay almost double in the English shop 55kms away.   No brainer.

Haven't found a source of NZ Lindauer fizz since the Tesco and Sainsbury drinks shops at Calais closed following the single market.   Can get Oz stuff though and Cava and Prosecco and some of the French stuff isn't too bad either.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Here's a funny one , I asked on a different forum how I could get rid of our pesky but cute moles and a soil expert said that if I wanted to get rid of them humanely I should pop a piece of smelly cheese into one of their tunnels ......now as I stated earlier that we have a lot of smelly sanctioned English cheese here.....are you still with me........we decided to put this to the test.......but my wife being the ultimate philanthropist said we should pour a drop of Merlot down as well ts send them on their wayimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I'd miss my cup of teaimage
  • You sound as though you are having a good adventure Dachalover. When we retired we had an adventure for nine years and do we miss it, lots and lots. It can be qUite boring at home all the time. Enjoy!
  • pansyface , love your message , as my company has decided to pull out of Russia like so many other Western companies and the fact that I am close to retirement age I have been doing many of the things I promised myself to do for so many years. I am teaching local mature Anglophile students to speak English as they cannot afford lessons elsewhere....they will all end up with an Irish lilt thoughimage , I also love our garden deeply and the birds , foxes , squirrels , frogs , water-rats and little snakes ...they even swim with us image

All in all , just getting on with our life and very happy that I have a truly great wife to share it with image

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,846

I take it that you live in Russia so what I would miss most if I lived there would be being able to criticise the government without fear of ending up at the bottom of the river.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

we used to take enough tea bags to last 3 months in Goa. 

Bizzarely tea in India is horrible.

Devon.