London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
7 messages
12/11/2013 at 19:12

Just used fleece for the first time this evening.  Forcast of zero temps tonight.  I've got an old small mini greenhouse (used to be polythene covered), which I've covered with fleece inside my greenhouse to save having to fleece or bubble wrap the whole greenhouse.  Wrapped up the camelia outside, and hopefully everything else which matters is hardy .

KEF
12/11/2013 at 19:14

ER just checked your location and you should be ok tonight, others will advise you later I'm sure.

13/11/2013 at 18:11

As it turned out, I think I made the right call.  The temperature went down to zero, with ice on the greenhouse glass and on the small polythene greenhouse which is right up against the wall of our house.

13/11/2013 at 18:37

I keep my potted up camellias near the house during winter, which they have now survived for many years. No need for fleece. They are pretty hardy? Only problem is when they are in flower when frosts will brown the flowers.

13/11/2013 at 18:43

What's in the GH, are they tender plants that you're giving some heat or borderlines that just need a little protection?

13/11/2013 at 21:19

I fleeced the camelia just to give the buds a little bit of protection.

The greenhouse is wintering some half hardy lobelias, salvias, some cut back to the bone pelargoniums and just to be on the safe side a phormium.

13/11/2013 at 21:37

I think  it's the white flowered camellias that are more easily damaged by frost/ thaw.  Camellias themselves are tough but the flowers get damaged by a quick thaw after frost.  A fleece cover should be sufficient 

No need to worry too much tonight here ....9 degrees.  

email image
7 messages