Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fruit tree ID...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I don't have any pictures and the tree hasn't fruited for sometime. It was a poorly neglected tree, covered in dead bindweed and brambles in Frebruary but after some TLC and after branches being cut off,  it produced white blossoms at the beginning of April. I hoped it was apple, a frost took the blossoms though later that month and there didn't appear to be any devloping fruit.

This evening I noticed lots of tiny green hard fruits about the size of marbles, some bigger, on the tree. A guy on the allotment thinks it's plum but someone else thought cherry. I have a cherry blossom tree in the back garden and don't think it's cherry as me thinks the leaves would be similar.

Sorry, not alot to go on but any suggestions as to what it is....    

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They're often called sherry plums so maybe

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

You guy's never fail to amaze me how quick a plant is identified...

The link Dove shows a more mature fruit so will try to check out a tree with smaller fruit, these are more cylindical rather than round...it is likely to be plum... the guy on the allotment who said it was plum seems to only grow fruit tree's and bushes...     

Will check out sherry plums...thank you...image  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I also know them as cherry-plums image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

and my sherry should have been cherry, I'm no typistimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

That explains why I couldn't find it image.

Thank you, looks like both allotmenteers were right, will look forward to the cherries ripening.