Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Hi can anyone suggest any reason as to why a small apple tree (about 4 ft)  that was moved from a pot after 2 years, into the garden planted with a fresh bag of tree and shrub compost last autumn has failed to produce anything at all this year? it is alive and I've now done a scrape (like a graft cut) just above a node and taped it to try to force some hormones into the node so it will sprout but if anyone has any other ideas to try to encourage it I'd be grateful.  It is alive just not showing any outward signs of it? 

Dovefromabove

Hi Sal Hall 

When you say that it's not produced anything and that you're trying to encourage it to sprout, do you mean that it's not even produced any leaves this year? 

Sorry perhaps I didn't make it clear but the tree has produced no leaves this year. The small buds that would normally turn into small branches are alive but have not swelled like they should and nothing is happening with the tree, it appears completely dormant? I wonder if its shock from being moved and having two of its four limbs pruned? This had to be done because both limbs were heavy ended and rubbing eachother, they were reduced by a third and staked for support. Other than this the tree has had nothing done to it, its not been over or under watered and is in a reasonably sheltered spot.  Does anyone know if trees do react like this and if its likely to recover next year? Many thanks

Sounds like shock to me, you will just have to wait and see if it gets better, if its still green then it has a chance, but it sounds like it needs leaving alone for a while now
I think i remember seeing a case like this on tv, of course i cant quite remember what happened, but i think the tree was ok

Yes I think you're right it's a case of waiting and see if it heals itself, will look at it again in spring now see if there's any signs of life, thanks for your help everyone anyway

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

All you can do is wait and see - to be honest I fear the worst but hope that I'm wrong.