London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
10 messages
12/12/2013 at 13:11

Hello

I have a garden bench with cast iron ends, The slats appear to be Teak and are rotting away at the ends. Does anybody know if it is possible to buy replacement slats for these benchs.

12/12/2013 at 13:16

If you can't find the teak ones, you could use planed treated timber, not the rough stuff.

12/12/2013 at 13:28

Thanks for that do you know if I can buy them ready cut to size?

12/12/2013 at 14:03

Go to your local wood merchant (Wickes / Jewsons / etc) And ask if they'll cut you the wood to whatever length you require. Our local one is ever so good for this!

12/12/2013 at 17:19

I don't know exactly how your bench is made; the thickness of the timber, as well as the other dimensions may be important.

12/12/2013 at 17:25

ive been given . the same cast iron ends of a bench like yours b@q will also cut to length. 

12/12/2013 at 20:13

Always use B & Q woodcutting service, they are very good.

13/12/2013 at 10:30

We've replaced all the slats on ours and resprayed the cast iron ends too and I reckon it's good for another dozen years.  We treated the new slats (B & Q like others have said) with a wood sealant as the bench lives out all year.  Gives you the chance to change the colour (we now have dark blue iron ends) too.

13/12/2013 at 10:52

Local hardware/timber shop slats cut to size will be no problem.

I was fortunate enough to spot a matched pair of very heavy ornate cast ends off a park bench in a scrap bin. These were dated 1976 and all that was wrong was one foot was broken off which I welded to repair with cast rods.

Hardest part was picking them up.....such a weight

Then I bought timber slats, cut to length, from the local hardware, which I stained and coated in marine varnish after drilling. These were coach bolted on. Nothing special about the timber. The castings I gave a grey primer undercoat then painted in Hammerite black gloss with gold touches to the patterns.

I have had it some 20 years now and it is still doing fine. I think I have re-coated the timber only once in clear marine varnish

Best scrap bin find I have ever had.

Good luck with yours

13/12/2013 at 12:17

I've restored several of these over the years and have always found suitable wood (cut to size) available from my local timber merchant,

I would say however, that although there is a sense of achievement by doing so, the costs are such that it's hopelessly uneconomic and much cheaper to buy a new one......I have in mind the cost of Hammerite paint, the wood, varnish and time spent wire-brushing the wrought iron.

email image
10 messages