11 messages
02/10/2013 at 22:08

Do you drape garden fleece over several plants or create cover individually.   Alternatively how do you attach bubble wrap to an aluminium greenhouse.  Which provides the better frost protection in my greenhouse over winter

03/10/2013 at 12:56

Others may know better than me, but I'd say:

Fleece is works just like a blanket - it insulates by creating a layer of air around the plant - preferably more than one layer. And it has the advantage of letting a bit of air circulation still take place so the plant can breathe and moisture can get out.  So I guess you could do plants individually or together depending on how cold it gets - maybe give them each some individual protection, then put one more extra layer over them all!

Bubblewrap is a great insulator but NOT for immediately wrapping plants - it is plastic so they can't breathe through it, it will trap moisture and they'll rot away. Great for insulating the panes of your greenhouse, though.

What I would say is to remember that most plants also want some light during winter, as well as being kept frost-free.  So don't wrap them more than necessary - pretty much anything that keeps them warm will also tend to keep them dark...

Hope that helps, I'll be interested to see what others say!

R

03/10/2013 at 12:57

thanks Rosie. 

03/10/2013 at 13:28

I will be using a couple of layers fixed loosely around my small fig tree in frosty weather.  When it is too large to do that I'll fix a couple of sheets to the top of the fence and drape them down over the tree like a lean-to tent, weighted at the bottom and fixed to try to resist wind damage.  I'll bubble-wrap the pot the fig is in, and also other pots such as the agapanthus and the bay.

I try to remove the fleece during the day if the temperatures are ok, to allow air to circulate.  

03/10/2013 at 15:41

Fleece keeps frost and wind off plant leaves. There is little temperature difference inside and outside of the fleese if temperatures get below -5C or so. You are mainly trying to prevent damage and keeping the plant in good shape visually.

Bubble wrap am not sold on. The bubbles trap heat and the larger the bubbles the better in theory. The problem is that greenhouse effect does not work with our low sunlight hours for 3 months of the year - in dec you are lucky to get several hours sunlight and they are follwed by cold darkness!

03/10/2013 at 15:45

With any tender plants in my unheated greenhouse,I just drape fleece over the plants a a group.if it is to be very cold I top up with a second layer and tuck around the pots a bit.I don,t fasten it in any way,then on a bright day I pull it back.

My larger plants outside ,I use a mixture of draping ,with some pebbles at the bottom to hold down and wrapping and securing loosely.

I bubble wrap big garden pots and also fix to the sides and roof of the unheated greenhouse with plastic clips bought from Wilkinsons.

03/10/2013 at 16:31

I use bubble wrap to insulate my greenhouse, some rolls come with fasteners especially for aluminun greenhouses. It does incourage a stagnant atmosphere so you need to ventilate as much as possible in mild weather. It does drastically cut down on heating costs. I use a thermastic controlled electric heater, expensive you might think, but I only use it for frost protection. say 2- 4 degrees.I keep pelargoniums, citrus, cacti, cannas and a pheonix palm in this environment. I have used fleese to protect individual tender plants, such as cordylines and musa basjo alive. I now use the woody clippings from my herbacious perrenials wrapped round the base of tender plants, tied with string. It costs nothing and is far more effective. The fig tree I leave unprotected, it has suffered in the recent colder winters but always recovers and I have had figs for the past 5 years.

03/10/2013 at 20:23

That is great people thanks for all the feedback

05/10/2013 at 12:34

Susan 17 lot of good advice there says it all ,i have a musa basjoo in my garden ,grew  grew  5 from seed  kept 1 sold 4 , the one in my garden has been there for at least 9 years got to 9ft with 4ft x2ft paddles  in 2009 i fell ill  and it never got protected . went through  the last two bad winters, winter of 2012 no protection -13 degrees thought it had gone ,then in June it appeared again doing well now it will get protected this winter ,it,s earnt the right , But just goes to show how tough the roots are. it,s great to be a part of your community.

05/10/2013 at 13:26

Hi Peter-  yes it shows that sometimes all the info and experts can be misleading! I think if you're in a colder area but can create your own micro climate, many supposedly non hardy plants can survive. Just read your details and I see you have a nursery.What do you grow or is it general plants and shrubs?

05/10/2013 at 16:15

I think for all the feedback it is still trial and error down  to individual learning but it's good to have the knowledges from some of the more experienced  people as a guide and know that you can come onto this forum ask even a silly question and someone will jump on to help you out cheers

email image
11 messages