Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

garden help

BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226

Hi All,

I have been working hard in my garden this year, my first year at my new house. Trouble is I am struggling with a full time job 3 kids and a wife who doesn't garden. I am probably putting in an average 15-20 hours a week.

Does anyone know of any schemes whereby folks volunteer to help help in gardens in return for a small amount or for free veg etc?

Would ideally suit retired folks who have downsized to flats and love the garden.

I can't afford to pay a part time gardener but wouldn't mind a companion or two to help and offer advice etc.

Any ideas?

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Hello Bluebaron and welcome to the forum image

Good point, can I suggest  contacting your local gardening club or 

group.  It's a good way to get go know garden minded people.

I'm sure others will pick up on this thread with their experiences and advice. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

In many areas there are established local schemes of this sort. Try googling "garden share" with some local place-names and you may well find what you want.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I would imagine that anyone waiting on an allotments list might be keen, but Ive no idea how you find out who is on the list

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226
    Thanks for the tips folks
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

What are you doing for 15-20 hours per week in the garden? I do about 2 hours at most in a week - cutting grass, pruning, watering etc.

• BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226
    Lol I often wonder the same thing! My garden is about 3/4 of an acre. I have an allotment several fruit trees a large lawn and a multitude of shrubs and beds. I have been cutting back a lot over the last year or so and am planning a complete redesign to keep maintenance down in the long term.
  • BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Morning image 

what a project ! I hope you are finding time for 'before and after' photos. You could start a new thread on the 'Garden Design' one,  lots of encouragement there too. Let us know how you get on with the help contacts. image