London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
12 messages
25/04/2014 at 17:01

I get fed up of my garden hose getting tangled and is a nightmare to rewind onto the spool. Are the flexible garden hoses any good?

25/04/2014 at 17:05

Hiya rosalind

The worst hose I ever had is the one I have now.  It kinks on every movement. I have just ordered a non kink conventional but better quality one.  Hopefully it will be much better.

The flat hoses and stretch ones are not great either.

25/04/2014 at 17:08

We have a Hozelock one on a wind-up spool and don't have a problem with it - we must've had it over 10 years. 

25/04/2014 at 17:57

I found that Hozelock have 3 different hoses,green,yellow and green/yellow. The green/yellow variety seems to be the best for not tangling or kinking,and obviously the most expensive, and always try to rewind on the spool whilst the hose is full and under pressure, then relieve pressure last.

25/04/2014 at 19:49

Ours is the yellow one 

25/04/2014 at 22:21

Thanks for that and the tip about rewinding when still under pressure. Hopefully the air will not be blue anymore whilst watering my garden!!

25/04/2014 at 22:27

Blue (language) and yellow ( hose) make green (garden)........oops!  I'll get my coat 

25/04/2014 at 23:13

I live in an upstairs flat/ maisonette.  I took a supply from the wc cistern.  Thankfully, the young fellow who converted the bathroom, plumbed the cistern into the mains, at my request. So my fixed copper pipe goes through the bathroom wall, and down outside.  Well lagged. I fitted a none return valved tap with  hose fiiting.  To use a garden hose.  It must be connected to a non-return valved tap.  Why?  I don't know.  Permanantley I have a yellow half inch bore hose, bought from Lidle. This remains on the ground to the greenhouse.  Inside the GH. I fitted another non retun tap, to this, a duel connection. One for filling a watering can and/or to connect my made up timed spray system.  The other outlet, is to the garden hose.  I did have to join/extend this hose.  I spotted in Wilkinsons.  Dirt cheap.  This section always brings out the best in me.  Where I learned this new language from, I don't know, but.  This cheapy kinks so easily.  So perhaps the old saying still applies.  Penny wise and pound foolish.

25/04/2014 at 23:58

have you tried the x hose? I got mine after seeing an add on the telly, you can buy them at home base but do get the correct length, the are like elastic fabric, they don't kink and are super light weight, I'm in love with mine.

26/04/2014 at 10:02

Mine just refused to obey me Krissy 2, I'll try swearing at it, it might work

26/04/2014 at 19:27

With plumbing systems it is important to prevent contamination of the water for obvious reasons. Dirty water getting back into the system poses a health risk and steps must be taken to prevent this happening. Backflow (as it is called) is when water which could be contaminated is drawn back into the plumbing system.

Regulations require that in order to prevent contamination of domestic water systems, hose taps must be fitted with non-return valves to prevent contamination to domestic supplies through back-flow.

A scenario that is quite feasible is when filling a garden pool. When the pool is full and the still submerged hose is turned-off, contaminated water can easily be siphoned back into the domestic supply.

26/04/2014 at 20:55

don't wind your hose up in a circle, wind it up in a figure of 8. it'll not kink , either as you wind it, or , unwind it. Trust me.

email image
12 messages