Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden News seeds

Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

Has any one sown there free seeds from Garden News mag?  It would be nice to know if you have to keep updated on progress

I have started my delphinium today

Hampshire Gardener

• Hi, I see they have changed their sponsors from Mr Forthergill to T@M. I have had good success with garden news seeds in the past. I hope you get on well with yours.

• Not yet but I am planning on doing so with the Aquilega seeds they provided with last week's issue, I sowed a lot of last years and got a good result. 

• Mark 1963 They have changed who the seeds are from hope they will still be good, I don't mind who they are from as long as there are free seeds and good info 

NGCARDS I like all the seeds so far, let us know how you get on with them

I will sow more as I go along will need more seed compost  

Hampshire Gardener
  • Started in propogator on saturday, been counting down to get them started in Feb, as indicated on the packets!!  Stocks, aqueliga, chocolate rudebekia and antirhinums (spelt wrong!) Stocks germinating after 4 days! All from GN. Sowed calendulas in October in the cold frame and they're doing well. So I think the seeds so far from both stockists seem good!

• Have you started any of the GN seeds?

Have any seeds come up?

Hampshire Gardener
  • PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

I sow the Aquilegia apple on Sunday but nothing come up yet.

Last year some magazine had 2 packs of seeds on  instead of one  depending on where you got them from. I have only seen one pack of seeds on each magazine this year, and they not many seeds in them.

• LunariaLunaria Posts: 144

I'm currently growing a free packet,  that was supposed to be hollyhocks. It's not hollyhocks.  I don't know what it is. It looks very grass like. Whatever it turns out to be, I have about 24 very healthy young plants. 

• I sowed some aquilegea last year and I had all t given up before it emerged. Be patient!

Where were the hollyhocks from? I've got some halo hollyhocks that came with a magazine but haven't sowed them yet.

• Lunaria what did the seeds look like?

Perki some of the GN mags last year did come with 2 packs of seeds so far just a pack a mag - which is still really nice to get normally they say if it is going to be more seeds in the mag for what is next week   

CharlieBot sometimes aquilegia do take ages to grow

You could add pics 

Hampshire Gardener
  • My GN aquilegia sown 31st January in propogator just started to show, but much slower to germinate than all other seeds sown the same day. Was advised on different forum thread to remove them as they prefer cool conditions, but I'm carrying on regardless. Quickest to germinate so far are the stocks... they literally took in 4 days and seem to be growing at the same rate as cress! They look similar too! Just hard  to know how much water to give them.