Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden Photos

I nipped out at lunch time to take a few photos of the garden. It's been a lovely sunny day.

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

• Hi Mike

I moved to my new post and vicarage two years ago and whilst there were a few established plants (esp the apple tree) I have created most of the garden myself. The next vicar after me may love or curse me depending on whether they like gardening or not. I one thing I would love to have but won't is a pond because we have church events at the vicarage with young families and children so its not safe. Have to wait until I retire in approx. 25 year time. LOL.

In answer to your question, there are many vicars who were famous gardeners down through history. There was a time when lots of clergy came from very wealthy families and could afford to have a curate (assistant) who did most of the day to day parish work for them so they could dedicate themselves to gardening, natural science or whatever their passion was. Not many clergy have the money to do that today and wouldn't be allowed to get away with it if they did. It's not entirely true that we only work on a Sunday. We try to do at least one other day! LOL.

In my experience, there are lots of vicars who love gardening and find it a good way to relax on their day off. Some prefer sport or painting or something else of course. We're a mixed bunch!

I am currently trying to improve the churchyard so that the area around the church itself is kept cut short and the area a little further away is allowed to grow into a wild flower meadow with a few cut paths for people to be able to walk through. Hopefully the number of wild flowers will increase and it will be a great place for wildlife.

• Hello Scott,  great photos.......  lovely pink flowers,  

from Clare.

• Hello  flumpy1,  great photos,   lovely flowers,

from Clare.

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

Thank you miss flower, I got them two years ago, forgot the name of them, they come up every year, my lupine I grew from seed three years ago, this year it's massive image