41 to 60 of 113 messages
03/02/2014 at 12:18

Quality Controller for a furniture wholesaler, but wish i worked in horticulture or even outside!!!

03/02/2014 at 13:05

Outdoor furniture perhaps !

03/02/2014 at 14:34

Lyn those are beautiful. Seeing something like that, lovingly brought back to life is terrific and, as punkdoc said, families must be very grateful. 

art- you're the 21st century Gertrude Jekyll. She was a painter with plants 

03/02/2014 at 16:10

I do interior design and sell furniture, carpets, curtains etc, but prefer being out doors.

03/02/2014 at 17:44

Fairy g

Lyn, what a wonderful talent to have! I didn't know that marble could be restored like that.

03/02/2014 at 18:49

I am a proofreader and there's nothing better than sitting facing the back garden, so that whenever your eyes need a break you can look out at the garden and the birds buzzing backwards and forwards across the garden...lovely!

03/02/2014 at 19:18

Disspirited accountant.....boring....., salesman...loved that.... and charity organiser ...in that order.  Sold everything from insurance, to fire extinguishers, to home products. As a charity organiser I did everything from sponsorships to recruitment to publicity, to accounting, to etc.    

Would go into horticulture if I started again.  In my day it wasn't  a proper career to pursue.  hated it when young.  Love it now.

03/02/2014 at 19:26

Same here Verdun. Not the previous jobs but the horticulture

03/02/2014 at 19:32
I sell lots of lovely food and I do enjoy my job, lots of driving around the UK but I don't mind as long as the radio is good
03/02/2014 at 19:46

Another retired nurse!

03/02/2014 at 19:48

I got the chance to go to Horticulture college at 16 but bright people told me to finish my exams first. Never got the opportunity again. Would never tell my two anything like that, go with your dreams, if they turn to nightmares who cares try something else.

KEF
03/02/2014 at 19:55

No expert  I also got some 'great advice' in my teens.

03/02/2014 at 20:53

I've worked in registration (births,deaths,marriages) for years. I've also fitted in teaching pre-school gym and working as a teaching assistant. Although I have a garden,my newly acquired allotment is my haven. Could be miles from anywhere,just me, the birds and lots of new veg to try and grow.

03/02/2014 at 21:38

I run a team of technicians and IT professionals in a large university department. Gardening is my way of getting away from all of the modern technology and satisfying my inner Luddite who lives (just) below the surface!

03/02/2014 at 22:09

NASA test pilot.... off to Mars soon....

...when down to Earth... I work in Retail....

03/02/2014 at 22:18

I'm just reading David Dickinsons autobiography. Before he became an antiques dealer, he sold fancy fabric to tailors - quite random. He's had a really interesting life. I love learning about what folk do. i wonder if we have any famous folk on here, or any widwifes? Hands up if you watched Call the Midwife last night and didn't shed a tear?! My grandad was a saw doctor. I think my dream job would be Chief Rolo Taster!

03/02/2014 at 22:57

Hi Tootles.

Most about me is quoted in my bio.  Have a laugh.   It sounds as if I am a packet of washing power or what.

Fell highly priviledged at learning my full history.  I left school at 14 just prior to Xmas 1954.  My 15th birthaday came on the 28.Dec.  I started work on the 29th.  My employment was.  A solicitors clerk.  Within  five years I had worked my way up to becoming the clerk to two of the firms partners.  Then I left, armed with so much civil law, especially company law, under my belt.  I joined the police force.  Before my probationary period was completed.  I applied for a transfer to Traffic.  I was accepted.  I gained my Advanced class one driving cert for cars and motorcycles.  Not boasting, but during my caree I lost only four court cases.  Health caught up with me.  As it does with most police officers.  Finally I was pensioned off medically.  During my service, I met the Supt. of Regents Pk.  London.  A great rosarian.  It was he who nominated me to become a Fellow of the Royal Horticultural Socy.  An honour that no longer exists.  The nomination was accepted etc.  Leaving the force on medical grounds.  I sought employment with the GLC Parks .  I told them honestly my past etc.  Hey Ho! I was certified......passed A1 fit, medically.  Honestly how corrupt this system is.  As my bio lists.  1945 was the start of my horticultural interest.  Five years into my career with the parks dept.  I had risen through the ranks.  Several firsts.  As my bio states.  In addition to the bio. The GLC it was announced was to be done away with.  So young Red Ken was soon to lose his spend all, waste all credit card.  Once joining the civil service.  I was addressed as.  Head Gardener.  Head Garden Propagator.  All fancy titles, but to be honest.  The take home pay was....another word for manuer.  Sadly I suffered a long ill spell.  It might have been lessened had my GP been more on the ball.  Hestletine was part of Maggies cabinet.  Cut backs had to be made.  Poor old Mike's job was no longer wanted.  Once again I was offered medical retirement.  The year 1984.   I took it.  I recieved a bounty or two thousand pounds.  Val and I did the shopping twice that week. Over the years,many medicals came up with the same result.  Basically.   Unfit for work.  So since 1984. Mike has been unemployed.  However my love for the law and horticulture survive.  Sadly I lost my Valerie almost four year ago.  After being together for over fifty years.  I have two daughters, Kerry and Amanda.  Amanda phones me each day and usually calls into see me.  Great lass and such loving grand children.  Sadly recently following an eye test, check up.  My optician noticed  something.  The hospital consultans confirmed.  I am developing glaucoma. Should their treat ment fail, then for Mike.  It is good night Vienna.  My GP when reading the opticians report.  Poo pood it.  Nothing to worry about Mr Allen.  Sorry folks.  Despite the fact that all those years ago.  Mike had his sights set on Med School etc.  Part of my long term medical problem is.  Cervical spine disease, plus kypho scoliosis, and what is termed as.  Gross degenerative disese of the spine.   I recently consulsulted my GP.  My neck was giving me hell.  His prescription was.  Simple neck exercies.  Totally way out.  I needed traction, plus heat.  Three or four nights later.   Getting undressed for bed.  Mike cr

03/02/2014 at 23:10

I knew you were a brain box Bob so not surprised 

Hiya Mike.  Good to read your post.  Great respect to you. 

I feel quite inadequate now......but I'm a Cornishman so one of gods chosen ones 

04/02/2014 at 08:47

Based on the amount of rain your area of the world is currently getting, I'm pretty grateful Essex is not similarly chosen by the Gods Verdun!! 

04/02/2014 at 09:46

Tootles my wife is a midwife has been for 28 years and loves her job and we can't go anywhere that someone who's baby she has seen comes up and talks to her that's nice to see.

41 to 60 of 113 messages