London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
61 to 80 of 113 messages
04/02/2014 at 10:45

What a lovely interesting thread. I feel privileged in knowing a bit about yourself and having you as friends.

Me too a nurse! Trained and worked in London teaching hospitals and posh private ones as surgical nurse. Moved to Surrey 18yrs ago for a better life and fresh air, well actually a garden!  Still nursing, in a secure establishment now, always interested in high profile cases. Love my work, enjoy helping people who have lost their way in life. However looking forward to early retirement end of the yr to pursue my passion for gardening.

Married to an accountant-who loves figures and me can't even add up! Gardening budget is always overspent-a bit like the NHS. LOL

04/02/2014 at 11:21

I agree, weyplotter, it is a privilege to read these biographies.

04/02/2014 at 14:41
punkdoc wrote (see)

Outdoor furniture perhaps !

I wish that was the case instead of mainly bedroom furniture

04/02/2014 at 22:40

To be honest. As soon as I clicked Submit reply.   I honestly expected to be 'booed' off the forum.  Believe me.  It's great to be able to chat and share interests with you all.  Life get's somewhat lonely in the evenings.

Great bunch of friends on this forum.

Thank you.

04/02/2014 at 23:07

Hi Folks. I used to work for the Halifax. One day I 'snapped' & gave them a months' notice after about 16 years service.

Started a garden maintenance business (1 man band) & have been doing so for nearly 14 years now. wouldn't swap it for the world, even when it's p............... raining heavily.

04/02/2014 at 23:27

By heck - what a range of jobs so far! And such interesting posts. Thanks for sharing. Was it anything in particular that made you snap Chris? I think I almost snap at least 4 times a week! Anyone work in stress management?! If it wasnt for the lovely distraction of gardening I think I would have thrown in the surveying towel a while ago. Soooo lucky to get such great enjoyment through gardening. 

04/02/2014 at 23:31
Lyn wrote (see)
Steve J wrote (see)

My pic gives me away...

Male model 

Some photos of our job.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36947.jpg?width=350

This is the Baring Gould monuments before and after

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36948.jpg?width=350

Here is a marble one, (My speciality)

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36949.jpg?width=350

I am past retirement age but still do the odd few, it is a bit of a labour of love!. especially the marble ones where you have to be so careful because the stone is very soft, I use a toothbrush, toothpicks, anything tiny to get into the little creases around the flowers, takes several days to complete.

The best part about it is that I can sit in a churchyard, completely alone and peaceful, not many can do that in their workplace.

Why, thank you!

04/02/2014 at 23:44

What a lovely relaxing way to work. Reading that made me feel quite relaxed.  In such a peaceful environment and with such wonderful stone I understand when you say "it's a labour of love".  

05/02/2014 at 09:45

Morning All

Steve they are lovely. Your work reminds me walking through the cemetery on way to school. I used to be so scared and we would run so quickly-in case anyone came out of their graves! LOL

Tootles-deliver anger mgt courses to our inmates-obviously doesn't work as they come back in again.

After a hard day all is forgotten by going to my plot (oasis) just me, birds and bees-follower allotmenteer keeps bees, delicious honey-yum yum yum.

05/02/2014 at 09:51

A lot of people look worried when I tell them what I do, I use to work in a very large double glazing company, My hubby is a recruitment consultant, I joined him when we set up our own agency 15 years ago.

On a whole people don't like double glazing / estate agents or recruitment consultants - until they need us of course.

Katie

I would like to add that I am very nice really.

05/02/2014 at 10:05

Dont worry Katiejane, most people dont like doctors much these days, and are even more suspicious when they find out you took early retirement.

05/02/2014 at 10:34
Lawnmower Chris, I couldn't agree more, I worked for the Halifax for over 15 years then left to go to Abbey....just as bad so got out of banking altogether!!!
05/02/2014 at 10:36

Lawnmower Chris, I really admire you for doing that, far too many people are stuck in jobs that they loathe, my advice to them all is to find one that you like. When I started out I was a graphic designer in Television. All the people I worked with were hooked on the high wage packets and stressed out beyond belief. I took the leap into the unknown to become a mural painter and though I will never be 'rich' I have had such rewarding experiences working round the world that I would not change that choice I made 42 years ago for anything

Mike Allen, it was lovely to hear about your experiences, the only thing that would get you booed off I think would be a lack of kindness towards other forumites. (is that a new word?)

05/02/2014 at 10:48
I'd like to point out that I'm not the skilled stonemason, it's the person that I quoted from that is!
05/02/2014 at 17:26

Hi Tootles, hi T-N, hi artjak. I lived in a rented house owned by a workmate who was living with his partner. The garden was overgrown & at the end of each 'rubbish' day, 5 days a week!, I'd put an old set of clothes on & go outside, with no gardening knowledge at all & began clearing it. The sense of achievement after a period of time made me feel good.

Got an email from workmates partner giving me a months notice to leave rented property as they were splitting up & he'd be moving back in.

With no home, a job I'd grown to hate I decided to hand my notice in next day & as it goes left work on my birthday in 1999.

Within 2 weeks of actually leaving the Halifax I'd advertised my 'gardening services' & got a half a dozen of customers. A week later, by word of mouth,I'd about 18 customers!

05/02/2014 at 18:08

Katiejane.... 

D/G (and other ) salespersons can be a bit of a pain when cold calling but they can be great conversationalists too ...............I recall one guy who was far more into making his own Curry powder from fresh ground spices than really selling D/G and another who taught me something about solar power..............I didn't need the D/G but I benefited from the free advice from both.   They may not have got a sale but they did get a good cup of tea and some free range eggs for their trouble

So, each to their own...........there are far more "nice" people roaming the planet whatever their occupation than there are nasty people. 

05/02/2014 at 19:01
That's a fab story Chris and every credit to you, I wish I would have had the courage to follow my heart back then but it was a bit more difficult with a mortgage and 2 young children. Well in the last now, I'm no longer a number (you'll understand what I mean there) but work for a relatively small (by comparison) family company and I really enjoy it
05/02/2014 at 20:48

Nice one T-N. I bet you feel more 'wanted' now, don't you?

I never was a 'salesman'. And that's what the job became.

I'll remember to use this forum for any medical issues I might have. I can't believe the number of former nurses on it. I hope you've all still got that special bedside manor girls? 

05/02/2014 at 21:25
Cold shower for Chris I feel a lot more wanted and valued now Chris, I'm still in sales but selling lovely food that people want and no hard sell....or conversational selling!!!!
05/02/2014 at 21:43
Lawnmower Chris wrote (see)

I'll remember to use this forum for any medical issues I might have. I can't believe the number of former nurses on it. I hope you've all still got that special bedside manor girls? 

I was a psychiatric nurse Chris. Will that be useful?

Then a GP practice nurse. I'm good with a needle

61 to 80 of 113 messages