London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
61 to 80 of 161 messages
27/06/2012 at 08:50

i also thought that the new series of love your garden was a rehash of ground force.. not what i wanted to see.. loved old series visitng peoples gardens etc etc.. wont be bothering with that one again either.

as for no GW becuase of sport.. which seems to have been going on for weeks already.. is outrageous.. as a broadcasting company funded by liecence payers..they should at all times show programmes to cover everyones tastes.. regardless of what is going on.

lucky fo rme i automaticall recorde GW so can re watch them to keep me happy.. but i see no reason why it still cant be shown as normal.. the blooming oplympics is taking over and i can be sure it will be a disaster.. the tickets sales have proved that.. i have recorded many many films and documentaries and bought films to watch as i will not be tuning into the sports at all.. i pay my money and i expect to be able to sit and watch at least one thing a day that i am intersted in.. it is hard to do that now let alone over the summer..

27/06/2012 at 10:43

I have read through this thread and whilst it is a shame that GW is off it does happen ever year so it not exactly news,a lot of people watch Wimbledon who are we to begrudge them that and this year an Olympics in this country- a unique celebration that we will probably never see again.

So come on a bit of perspective it is not the end of the world-just look on this thread and posting on POV, and complaining to the BBC as a way of letting of steam- nothing is going to change and to those that have complained if you get a reply it will be a standard "sorry but"

There are lots of helpful people on this forum that are quite happy to offer advice after all-we survive the winter without GW, we will survive this.

27/06/2012 at 15:21

I am upset the GW is not going to be on for 4 weeks , i was relying on Monty et al to tell me when I can harvest my onions , true I can read it in one of the gardening books i cant help buying but there is nothing like comparing your efforts with someone " off the telly". BTW was pleased Montys garlic had rust , thought i was the only one !

Anyway though i am upset that GW is not going to be on  for 4 weeks and as someone said it is then the olympics but I hope they ( the BBC and others) as well as the sporting events show some of the Olympic park and the prarie planting schemes designed by James Hitchmough and Nigel Dunnett of the University of Sheffield.

I like sport so am excited about wimbledon and the Olympics so am ok with GW being off the air for basically a short time.

If the park doesn't get a mention judging by Love Your Gardens second series I will be clammering for GW to return, it was basically ground force by another name. I switched off half way through.

27/06/2012 at 15:22

@lazy gardener.. that may well be.. but now i will not get to see how caroles seeds did compared to mine as planted when she did.. also hubby wont get to find out about montys peas.. they will be finished.. there is a lot to miss out on over 4 weeks.. if you need the programme to keep on top of things

27/06/2012 at 15:53

The problem with the Love Your Gardens is that it focussed on the lady's story rather than the actual plants. Whilst I have every sympathy for her, I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that the BBC can produce a 30 minute programme once a week without it being shunted off at the earliest possible opportunity.

I probably won't bother watching the ITV series again.

27/06/2012 at 17:42

I don't even understand how the BBC are justifying the lack of gardening progs. It's not like it's a totally obscure minority interest. We're not asking for three hours a week on the latest findings in nuclear physics or something (which would be better than most of what's on, but understandable they don't make time for such stuff).

I wouldn't even mind a few repeats, but nothing ???

27/06/2012 at 19:26

Got to agree with you Leggi ,i wont be bothering with Love your Garden,after waiting to see it i was so disappointed with the show,Although a big sports fan myself surly the BBC could find a thirty minute slot some were in their scheduling.,

28/06/2012 at 09:08
Blueberry77 - the BBC justify the lack of regular gardening programmes by the wall-to-wall programmes they put on for Chelsea Flower Show saying its "for gardeners". However, in my view, Chelsea is for the majority TV audience, not a programme dedicated to the interests of gardeners, as the show marks the first big society event of the social calender. Anybody who goes to Chelsea would probably say that most people who go there don't give two hoots about gardening - it is just a place to be seen at. Hence why after several years of Chelsea, I now go to Hampton Court which is more the "peoples" show. Last year, BBC put on three programmes for Hampton. Wow! Now compare that to Chelsea - two programmes a day plus preview programme - around 14 shows in total. Hardly compares.

Another thing that miffed me this year was BBC coverage of their own Gardeners World Live event instead of a normal programme. This was just pure out and out marketing of their own event. And I thought advertising was banned on the BBC.
28/06/2012 at 09:19

Look on the bright side, folks.

This Friday, 9pm BBC2, you'll be able to watch an hour of Simon Schama lecturing about Shakespeare and his attitude to kingship.

And the following Friday (July 6) it's Hampton Court Palace Flower Show, at 9pm.

28/06/2012 at 12:36

I love gardening and also love to watch any programn on gardening.  To learn that both Gardeners World and Beechgrove are shelved once again for any reason is taking things a bit beyond the pale.  I agree we could have a dedicated channel for us fanatics.  The goverment and environmentalists are always on about how we should use our gardens to help save the planet but where is the practical advice and knowledge to come from its ok to say read a book on it but there is nothing to compare with watching how its done.  I also feel too much time is spent on showing off large gardens with no relation to what we should be doing on our small plots.  Surely this could be shown on a dedicated programn for information on gardens to visit.  I want more practical information and I'm sure new gardeners would appreciate this.  I loved Tobys small gardens series when he did Gardeners World but could have done with more detailed info on planting and upkeep.  I have gardened for 35 years so not a novice but I am still learning. Sorry to have witterred on just hope someone at any channel is listening. 

28/06/2012 at 14:15

As you imply, lazy gardener, no-one's going to die because GW is suspended, but to say that people shouldn't complain or comment is rather defeatist and more than a touch cynical. Are we supposed to let the producers, the politicians, the fat cats, the zealots and the dictators get away unchallenged with any arbitrary and unjustified decision they care to make? Not my world!

28/06/2012 at 16:17

Just adding my voice and agree that it is so disappointing that GW has been given the heave-ho because of sport. I have been watching the programme for over 30 years and it still has the ability to inspire me and to hunt down a plant that has been featured.  I feel it's the dumbing down of gardening programes on TV, which I hope I am wrong about.  As for ITV's new gardening prog with the lovely Alan, no thanks, not for me!

There is nothing quite like settling down on a Friday night with a G&T and getting my fix of GW. Get your act together BBC and stop messing with your viewers!! 

28/06/2012 at 16:33
Joe_the_Gardener wrote (see)

As you imply, lazy gardener, no-one's going to die because GW is suspended, but to say that people shouldn't complain or comment is rather defeatist and more than a touch cynical. Are we supposed to let the producers, the politicians, the fat cats, the zealots and the dictators get away unchallenged with any arbitrary and unjustified decision they care to make? Not my world!

I don't think I said don't comment or complain did I?-just trying to get over the futility of it all that was the point I was trying to make-didn't expect to be told off for voicing an opinion

28/06/2012 at 17:36

There is nothing quite like settling down on a Friday night with a G&T and getting my fix of GW. Get your act together BBC and stop messing with your viewers!! 

i am exactly the same.. (thou wine) god forbid anyone who interupts me while watching it..

BEL
28/06/2012 at 19:13

What a disapointment to have GW back and then snatched away again so soon.  Unfair BBC, a measley half hr a week is hardly taxing on your schedule.  This series is so much better than last year and most of us are starting to get more from Monty's garden now that we know it better.  It is only a short programme after all and I really feel as if some of the items from other gardener's is squeezed in and rushed through.  Come on Auntie B, not only should you not take it away from us gardeners but you should give us a longer prog.

I do think that the Chelsea Show coverage is a bit dragged out and this year thought there was alot of repetition, I would forego so many hrs of CFS in exchange for a longer GW.

If viewers are unhappy do complain the more moans the more attention they might give us folk.

28/06/2012 at 19:31

It's coming the end of this year's series but we get an additional weekly gardening fix by watching Anns a' Gharradh. It obviously doesn't have a large production budget  but the presenters' enthusiasm is a joy, as are the gardens/gardeners they visit and the local scenary. Don't be put off it being in Gaelic - there are unobtrusive subtitles and some of the articles are in English.

PS we could never understand why UKTV Gardens channel was taken off air.

28/06/2012 at 19:44

I'm not telling you off lazy-g, but are you then saying: 'Complain all you like, but it's futile'? That's not the way we've made progress - where's the spirit of Mandela?

28/06/2012 at 20:59

Why could'nt it be shown on the BBC HD channel or by pushing the red button? 

28/06/2012 at 21:04

Of course in all this we don't know the deal with the presenters-perhaps they are only contracted to do so many hours of tv-or they may have other tv or outside projects on-those Italian Garden type programmes must take a lot of time.

I doubt that GW is only the source of income- otherwise how do they earn in the winter?

BEL
28/06/2012 at 21:21

Agree sotongeoff but I am sure presenters will always be happy to do more as they prob have less to do in winter.  One of the great things about seeing different gardeners is they all have different angles so it is always interesting to listen to them.I think they probably just do not get the opportunity.  Perhaps the Beeb could think about putting the programme on a Sat or Sun morning, at least it could be recorded then.  I just do not think the schedulers think it matters.  Perhaps we gardeners are not a majority.  And yes, what did happen to UKTV Garden, it may not have always been very dynamic but at least it was there and it could have been improved on.

61 to 80 of 161 messages