21 to 40 of 205 messages
22/03/2014 at 11:41

I find Nigel pure comedy - and I'm not a dog lover.  I think his loyalty and occasional knowing looks are great.  For me, gardening is about the whole environment - the bees, the birdsong, the whirr of a neighbour's lawnmower, and if I had a loyal pet who joined me out there, they too would be part of my gardening experience.  In fact, we had a tame pheasant called Fozzy who used to come over and see what I was up to, and who would eat bread from our hands.  Maybe if the show were an hour long then those people who feel that something is missing from the show would be catered for.  I don't know, but it does occur to me that since most people in the UK have a garden, just as most people eat, then it is strange that so many hours of airtime are devoted to teaching us how to cook, and so few are devoted to gardening.

22/03/2014 at 12:14

I still find myself thinking why is Monty calling my name, every time he calls Nigel, as that is what I am really called!

22/03/2014 at 12:34

That's the second time this morning that you've made me chuckle Nigel 

Don't s'pose you were once a member of Suffolk Young Farmers - there was once a very good looking person called Nigel ........ 

22/03/2014 at 13:13

I wish, on both counts!

22/03/2014 at 13:36

I knew some punks called Nigel in the Croydon area?

22/03/2014 at 15:34

No sadly not BB2. I tried to be a punk in Southampton, but for some reason it was frowned upon as a medical student. Loved the music, dressed up at weekends, and sometimes did my hair with a mixture of green food dye mixed with Brylcream to make it look spiky. I had this desperate desire to be different from other medical students.

22/03/2014 at 15:40
sounds like you suceeded PD! Got a picture if you in my mind
22/03/2014 at 15:52
I'm not a new gardener and not an experienced gardener. I'm certainly not a knowledgeable gardener but was excited by carols new project of starting a garden. What would help me is to see the same space in o ne (long) programme or series series showing how it looks in different seasons. Carols project will be 'real time' id love to watch this all in one go (side by side pi ctures) so will need to sky+ it.
Don't have much of an opinion on Nigel (neither adds to or distracts from my veiwing) but would like to see young people helping and learning in the garden.
Oh yes, started this post to say: I wish my buddleias were as tiny as months!
KEF
22/03/2014 at 16:05

Pdoc bet it's annoying when people keep making plans for you   I'll get my coat...

22/03/2014 at 17:04

22/03/2014 at 17:09

I thought the idea of having a section for developing a new garden was a positive addition to the programme. My frustration is simply that I'm not sure it was very helpful to a new gardener. It was too short a section and assumed the viewer knew more than many new gardeners do.

I think it would be helpful to begin with the very basics. The first few topics being:

• A simple introduction to garden tools (an explanation of the basic tools a new gardener needs to get going).
  • A simple explanation of how to assess a site (The gardens climate: is it north facing or south facing? Is it as sunny or a shady plot etc). Why it matters!
  • A simple explanation of how to assess the soil in the garden. (Is the soil clay, sand, chalk or loam.
  • A simple introduction to the soils PH and why it matters. How to do a soil test to find out if it is Acidic or Alkaline etc).
  • A simple explanation of how to improve the soil. (No digging, single digging or double digging. Should you add manure, leaf mould or multi purpose compost).
  • A simple guide to weeds. An identification of some of the most common weeds to be found in a garden and different ways of clearing the site of weeds.

The idea of having a slot for the development of a new garden can be a very positive thing but it left me feeling concerned that it's not going to help anybody who is new to gardening. I hope that in the coming weeks the program will cover the basics and not assume any prior knowledge.

I also wish the programme was an hour long!

22/03/2014 at 17:16
Completely agree Scott.
22/03/2014 at 17:21

Good one KEF. I did briefly know XTC, in another life. So maybe the song was about me.

22/03/2014 at 17:22

I enjoyed last night's programme but will see it again in HD when I get back home and watch the recording! Hopefully I'll have forgotten all about it by then.

Yes an hour long would be better! I was recently stranded in Spain with no telly but did manage to watch a few old episodes featuring Geoff Hamilton on U-tube!

22/03/2014 at 17:25

I think that we have to remember that the GW programme doesn't exist in isolation - it can be viewed along with the magazine and this website - A lot of what the programme does is to inspire and encourage - the education and advice can be obtained easily from the mag and the website. 

22/03/2014 at 17:29

I too would like an hour long programme, GW seems to be over far too quickly, when there are plenty of rubbish programmes that no one would miss. By the way hello to everyone as I am a newbie.

22/03/2014 at 17:30

Hello Sandysoil 

22/03/2014 at 17:52

I love the idea of Carol's helping novices create their first garden. POSITIVE ENOUGH?????

22/03/2014 at 18:09

I didn't realise this forum was solely for sycophants who just love everything. Aren't we allowed to object to anything?

22/03/2014 at 18:21

All this rubbish comes round more and more often. It's just a TV programme for goodness sake.

I love him, hate her. Hate her love him. So what. 

21 to 40 of 205 messages