61 to 80 of 205 messages
23/03/2014 at 12:39
Scott I am just interested to see how Carol transforms the garden full stop being
a new gardener I will watch for any tips she shows, I just don't think
there is enough gardening programmes on tv and unfortunately gardeners
world is short and sweet, there seems to be so much interest out there it would be nice to have more on tv.But I have to say this site is god send I love the idea with the blogs which make great reading and great tips.
23/03/2014 at 13:10

Don't forget Gardener's Question Time - Radio 4 at 2pm today!!!  

23/03/2014 at 13:13

Or you can 'listen again' here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp2f 

23/03/2014 at 16:50
In GW mag april....some other up and coming programmes....look good
23/03/2014 at 16:54

I'm very interested to see how the 'new garden' develops. I'm a moderately experienced gardener, but now myself dealing with making a new garden, little by little over time, in what was mostly grass and conifers before. My feeling - looking at the previous comments - is that there is quite a lot of material out there, including on the GW website, for really 'new' people, and the GW programme does a pretty good job of balancing tips, more detailed things, and pure enjoyment.

Like some others, I wish it was longer, but that is telly life.

23/03/2014 at 17:55

Long live the Nigel and monty show

23/03/2014 at 18:04

I'm a total novice and really appreciated the piece on the largely ignored garden, and starting from scratch, as that's what I'm doing myself, so it gives me a chance to learn a little, and not to be overwhelmed by information, and then I can be in awe of the more mature gardens they show from more experienced gardeners, I loved the wildflower, and 'calendar' style garden this week! Beautiful!

I can see why experienced gardeners find it a little patronising, but I don't think there's reason to spoil it for new people like me, I find it rather belittling in all honesty especially to mock the beginners piece. I'm 21 and have a lifetime to learn, and shows like GW make it all the more accessible for me.

If 30 seconds of showing a man and dog's friend upsets you so much, maybe you could stop watching it, and while you're at it, assess your priorities.

Edd
23/03/2014 at 18:13

I don't recall any gardener finding it patronising and fail to find anyone who has mocked the beginners piece. Have i missed something?

23/03/2014 at 18:22

These GW and presenter threads always lead to a certain amount of aggro Edd

It's just the way it goes

23/03/2014 at 18:23
Sweetpea93 its great to 'meet' an enthusiastic young gardener ( oh to be 21 again!) anything to encourage you that you learn from or just enjoy is brilliant. The world of horticulture is crying out for new people. We will also learn from you and your ideas and outlook. You will one day be one of our experts, I wish I had been so willing to learn all those years ago. Ps im only going on about being 'young' because most of us on here are the grand old age of 27! Hahum! Hope you enjoy the forum.
23/03/2014 at 18:42
I saw a few comments on how they weren't amused at the amount of time spent on the beginners piece opposed to other segments which I find unfair is all.

And thank you Mrs Garden. hopefully I do learn as much as I can do with such a small garden! Truthfully the only reason I was, at least initially, so keen on getting the garden looking nice was to keep our landlord happy. Now it's definitely become a labour of love and the excitement I felt when my seedlings first appeared was amazing! Now I can't wait for it to take shape in the coming month. I love coming home from work with GW to look forward to. I like to think it's rather inclusive.
23/03/2014 at 18:49

You'll make a great gardener Sweet Pea, you have great enthusiasm and an obvious desire for knowledge.

I think most people on here will admit that you never stop learning, mistakes are just part of the learning curve, no different to any other part of life.

Dont think anyone is trying to be patronising its just this thread does polarise people, may be a bit too much and I am as guilty as anyone on that front.

23/03/2014 at 18:56

I haven't read all the comments and haven't seen this week's episode yet (which is why I haven't read everything), but I have to say I posted a similar question to the OP on the 'moan' thread last week.  I love GW and last week had just got into it when it finished (as someone else has said). I was watching it on Sunday whilst OH and our boys indulged in Top Gear, I find it most unfair that Jeremy Clarkson et al get an hour and GW only gets half an hour, there is so much more they could do.  As for the dog, my 2 hounds follow me round the garden all the time and sit outside my veg patch waiting to get in, so I can totally relate to having MD's dog pottering about with him 

23/03/2014 at 19:17

Sweetpea Welcome   Great to hear that gardening has you hooked 

23/03/2014 at 19:20
scroggin wrote (see)

Shame that people have to find negatives in everything, there will be a lot of young people with little garden knowledge that will find Carol's section very helpful.

I dont understand the problem Nigel the dog either, many gardeners have dogs and its hardly the Monty and Nigel show.

Well said.  I have no problems watching Nigel.  I really enjoy GW.  I do agree that it's not long enough though.  I think everyone will have differing views as we are all at different stages of our gardening lives/experience.  It would be great if the BBC would consider a wider span of gardening programmes and then hopefully everyone will be happy.

23/03/2014 at 21:19

I certainly hope that my posts have not been misunderstood as a criticism of new gardeners or as patronising anybody. I want the program to reach out to people who are new to gardening and would like Carols slot to be slightly longer. I am a little concerned that if it is to be helpful to people who want some advice on where to begin and what to do it would be helpful to start with the basics and cover such topics as tools, garden climate, soil improvement etc. Alan Titchmarsh did this really well in his series 'How to be a gardener' which I've watched more than once and would highly recommend. It would be great if the BBC repeated it. I'm merely concerned that there is a danger that Carol's slot will be entertaining but not as informative as it potentially could be.

23/03/2014 at 21:34

David K - just read your comments about Clack's Farm - why is it covered in tarmac?  I hope it has not turned into a supermarket.  I have lovely photos taken on a visit to Clack's Farm many many years ago.

23/03/2014 at 21:49

I've not visited since Arthur B emigrated to New Zealand, Forester, but I think it's probably part of a bye-pass of Ombersley.....deffo a road.

23/03/2014 at 21:57

How sad David  

23/03/2014 at 21:59
Forester2 wrote (see)

How sad David  

For sure! I read it in an article by Gay Search, not long after Arthur had died.

61 to 80 of 205 messages