London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
161 to 180 of 205 messages
02/05/2014 at 09:44

I think the difficulty is that those of us with experience have reasonable idea when things should be planted in our own gardens in the pertaining weather conditions - however weather and soil conditions vary so widely in the UK I doubt we could do more than the guides given on seed packets. 

02/05/2014 at 09:53

I think you're right Dove. I've moved five times in the last few years and each garden has had different conditions even though they were all within ten or fifteen miles of each other! We're several weeks behind most of England here, and if you're higher up above sea level it makes a massive difference too. Exposure is a big issue which doesn't often get addressed. Helping individuals on here based on our experience is probably the best way - you've helped lots of people already David - myself included 

02/05/2014 at 10:00

That's the trouble with gardening, there isn't a one size fits all.

I think the best piece of advice I could offer, is not to be too eager by sowing/planting stuff too early In the season and definitely avoid buying those frost tender plug-plants appearing in the GCs in March.

Btw, May 12th is the gardeners traditional day for sowing runner bean seed in the open ground.....they've been available as potted plants for weeks in the GCs. 

02/05/2014 at 10:07

I think the best thing any gardening programme can do is to teach people to be observant about their soil, weather conditions and their plants - to encourage interest so that people know what to look for 

02/05/2014 at 10:23

Why May 12th David, come on we need more facts  I'm not doing runner beans though but have already sown my dwarf French beans 

I'm very excited about my garden this year and have learnt so much from everyone on here and quite a bit from GW programme and magazine.....all in all I have a lot to thank GW for 

02/05/2014 at 10:33
Orchid Lady wrote (see)

Why May 12th David, come on we need more facts  I'm not doing runner beans though but have already sown my dwarf French beans 

Well, I didn't go into detail, OL, cos it's basically about GW.  But, (as you ask) runner beans are frost tender and sowing mid-May means they should emerge after the risk of frost and in temperatures suitable for them to thrive.

02/05/2014 at 10:34

I missed GW last week as was away then this week it's cancelled because of Snooker 

I think it should be longer with more detail in each item. Although I've been gardening for over 40 years I still like seeing beginners getting help in starting and I like visiting other people's gardens. I wish they could show ordinary gardens as well as big ones open to the public. There was a programme about gardens open for the National Gardens Scheme, I really enjoyed that.

I like Nigel, I have a Nigel, except he's a border collie. If the programme were longer a few glimpses of Nigel couldn't bother anyone.

I find Monty a bit dull sometimes and his garden is a wealthy person's garden, but I don't dislike him. I loved Geoff H and have a crush on Chris B , I think Alan T is fun, liked Charlie D - she was fun too. In fact I like all of them, even Carol K's over enthusiasm. Some find Rachel too upper classy but I think she's beautiful and she likes roses, my favourite. There's just not enough of gardening on TV.

02/05/2014 at 10:38

Don't forget all the GW shows can usually be caught on demand on sky or simply through the i player on a pc.

02/05/2014 at 11:55

Except I can't because I live in France. No I player etc

02/05/2014 at 11:56

Im pretty sure someone puts them on you tube..

02/05/2014 at 13:10

I like them all.  When you say about Carol's over enthusiasm, I thought it was really funny the other week when she met that lady who was even more like Carol than Carol was, on the enthusiasm front.  I think they were talking about camelias.  I like Rachel - I really don't mind if people are posh or not, as long as the passion is there, and it is all about the plants.  I know some lovely posh people and some lovely opposite of posh people, but as long as they are good at heart and empathetic, it really doesn't matter where they started life. 

02/05/2014 at 13:17

My OH is with you on that Bee, he likes Rachel too  I like your 'opposite of posh' comment  I like most people too but don't really like 'pretend posh' people, just be who you are 

02/05/2014 at 15:16

I agree with all you say Busybee, and whether Monty is wealthy is irrelevant . Compared to AT's plot it is not a wealthy mans' garden, but  he(MD) is very down to earth(apologies David K) and is not a afraid to mention his failures so we can learn from his mistakes. I find his relaxed manner of presenting  easy to watch, others don't. We can't please all. 

Let us face it, if he was such a bad gardener would he be asked back after his short illness, and be fronting Chelsea? TV presenting is very competitive and the producers do not suffer bad presenting lightly

02/05/2014 at 15:36

Have to agree with Jat re MDs style (his writing is similar). As I said before I like the MD sections of GW. I also dont really see it as a wealthy mans garden; its certainly a decent sized plot but its had some hard work and plenty of time put into its structure(and it changes every year as it gets refined).. Its  certainly not the manicured to within an inch of its life AT experience.

I like that its mainly herbacious so in the winter(and early spring) months it looks like the average garden - but its also this part that frustrates me a little as we dont spend enough time seeing how it develops in those areas (such as the jewel garden) so we can appreciate it more when it explodes into life . Its as if these are clearly not interesting enough to film in by the producer.

I quite like Beechgrove - does get some practical stuff across in a simple way but I always feel its more like watching a public park being tinkered with than a real garden.

02/05/2014 at 15:52

OMG ighten, you must have read my mind! I like Beechgrove too but feel the same as you. I cannot for the life of me see the"garden" side of it!!  I just felt it was unkind to say so.

Talking about MD's plot, you are right,there is a lot that is at the mercy of the people who have the dosh, and their word goes

02/05/2014 at 17:11

jatnikapyar.....yes, you're quite right, Monty does hold his hands up when he messes up.

02/05/2014 at 18:45

OL - you are so right about the pretend to be posh people.  I like people to be classy, but my understanding of that is that they are true to who they are and where they came from, and proud of it, and not pretending to be someone else.  I think I am probably omni-class - a little bit of everything, and friends with everyone!

02/05/2014 at 19:05

I'm classy

Just not sure what class

02/05/2014 at 19:11

I'm in Busy Bees class  I like anyone who is genuine and I will make anyone welcome in my home......unless they upset me or any of my boys 

02/05/2014 at 19:11

I've been told I speak posh like the Queen, but I'm just normal really. I did have greenhouse envy though, when I saw Monty's new one.

161 to 180 of 205 messages