London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
1 to 20 of 205 messages
21/03/2014 at 21:11
I love gardeners world...Its the start of my weekend....it inspires me...but its just not long enough. Tonight was lovely, but I wanted more...I wanted to know about the plants in one of the gardens shown...I wanted to know more about over wintering plants and what to do to prepare them for the new season...I wanted to know more about the buddlejas.....however, I recorded it...so I'll watch it again and pretend its an hour long!
21/03/2014 at 21:39

Yes but if they made it an hour long, there wouldn't be time for bumper editions of Eastenders and let's face it, we don't get enough cookery shows.  And what about reality t.v. shows in which actors who did 6 month soap stints get to battle it out with has-been Tory politicians by ice dancing in the Australian jungle?  You can't expect gardening to take precedence over this kind of ground-breaking telly.

21/03/2014 at 21:43
Ha! you are quite correct...silly me!
21/03/2014 at 22:59

I know many will hate me. but we saw more of monty's dog than we saw of his garden.

21/03/2014 at 23:07
I too wish gardeners world was on for an hour, i just got into it and it went off!,
21/03/2014 at 23:14

what does " Nigel believes if I plant a tennis ball, it'll produce many more" or whatever he said, have to do with gardening. All this before the opening titles had appeared.

I'm sick of the monty /nigel show monopolising GW. WE WANT GARDENING.

22/03/2014 at 07:45

Totally agree Hostafan, and now we have to watch for a year while Carol converts a garden.Very little interest to anyone just starting gardening, not a patch on the old presenters ie Geoff Hamilton.

22/03/2014 at 08:04

Shame that people have to find negatives in everything, there will be a lot of young people with little garden knowledge that will find Carol's section very helpful.

I dont understand the problem Nigel the dog either, many gardeners have dogs and its hardly the Monty and Nigel show.

22/03/2014 at 08:27
nodlisab wrote (see)

Totally agree Hostafan, and now we have to watch for a year while Carol converts a garden.Very little interest to anyone just starting gardening, not a patch on the old presenters ie Geoff Hamilton.

I don't understand this   When I watched the item I thought it was such a good idea - we get so many queries on here from people who've just got a garden and don't know where to start or what to do - I think they'll find it very helpful. 

22/03/2014 at 08:43

Well yes, I thought it was one of the best ideas from GW for ages.....although CK has done it before.

As regards negative comments, it's really a matter of 'One man's meat is another man's poison'....there will always be differing opinions. 

22/03/2014 at 08:45

I'd agree Dove. If you were just starting out I think it  would be very helpful. When I moved to my first house, about to have a baby, I had only a small amount of experience and a fair sized blank canvas of a garden. I was looking forward to getting stuck in and making changes on a very small - actually non existent - budget, but I reckon lots of people could have found that daunting and would have relished a bit of guidance about where to start. 

22/03/2014 at 09:23

I think last nights program had a very good mix, some instruction and a couple of very informative garden visits.

Carols section should also help boost audience figures as new gardeners now have a section directly aimed at them.

22/03/2014 at 09:26

Hostafan, we've all checked that you're not a Nigel/Monty fan by now, no need to go on about it! If you don't like GW anymore, perhaps you should stop watching it and save your nerves!

22/03/2014 at 09:29

Every year we have the same discussion, MD, good or bad; Nigel charming or an unnecessary distraction.

The only thing we all agree on is that we should have more programmes on gardening. I suspect that these programmes cost more to make than cookery programmes, and, certainly get lower viewing figurs so it jusy aint going to happen.

My own personal opinion is that MD. is a really interesting man, who speaks and writes beautifully [ read his Ivington diaries ] and who cares passionately about gardening. You may not agree with me, but then of course you would be wrong!

22/03/2014 at 09:34

Pd  -  you made me chuckle   

Who remembers Percy Thrower?  

22/03/2014 at 09:43

I'm never quite sure why people are so damned upset by thirty seconds of a dog...

22/03/2014 at 09:51

What we really need isn't another gardening programme, it's a whole gardening channel. 

22/03/2014 at 09:59

You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people of the time! 

Glad to say I'm pleased  More Nigel please! 

22/03/2014 at 10:05

I second the POSITIVE comments made by several people, long live freedom to express a personal opinion-AMEN

22/03/2014 at 10:22

'I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.' - Oscar Wilde

1 to 20 of 205 messages