Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardening Book ideas for Christmas

4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Hi all

i was thinking about asking for some gardening books for Christmas but appreciate that there are A LOT of books out there, so was wondering if there were any that you would recommend? I was thinking about one to do with seeds (growing/collecting), maybe one to do with propagation? 

What is your best book? Doesn't have to still be in print - OH likes a challenge image

Thanks in advance image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Propagation by Aura Garden Guides is a good one. Cheap, at less that £5 it covers a range of plants in respect to propagation, also has several growing charts for seeds from veg to annuals, biennials, perennials and houseplants.  

I find it a good reference book, just been reading about hardwood cuttings again and when to take them.

I've also Herbs in the same series but there's well over a dozen different guides.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Thanks Zoomer image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I like Carol Klein's grow your own garden for propagation.  It never makes it back onto the bookshelf in the growing season as I'm constantly looking things up.  The other one i use a lot for reference is Monty Don's complete gardener ( from his first stint on GW).

Anything by christopher lloyd is very readable, but i treat them more as reading books rather than reference.  Katherine Swift and the Morville books are also good reads.

Thanks Chicky image Have hear about Christopher Lloyd and his colourful planting. Will see if there's something by him I can add to my list image

Bit cheeky, am giving myself a bump up image

Does anyone else have any books they would recommend?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Beth Chattos books on The Damp garden, and The Dry  Garden are good.

Thanks Fidget image Have been to here gardens, very lovely the visit was too image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Beth Chatto's Woodland Garden as well, it's more of a 'read' than damp and dry if you like that sort of book.

And there's a book on growing from seed by Karen Platt, 

In the sticks near Peterborough

Thanks Nut. Will check her out image

• My RHS  A-Z Encylopedia of Garden Plants never gets put away - covers everything site, pruning, propagation, colour pics, techniques etc  and Geoff Hamilton's Organic Gardening is another book I use regularly.