Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardening Buddy.

I have a very good friend, who is always with me when I'm in the garden. He is fascinated by everything I do, whether it's planting out, sowing seed, tidying up or even sweeping the patio. I chat to him as I work and he never disagrees with my gardening theories or try's to offer advice. If I have a raging success with a project or create a horticultural catastrophe, he views them exactly the same. If I decided to dig up a bed of herbacious perenials and replace it with a bed of nettles he would think that was the right thing to do. In short he is the perfect gardening buddy.

He is my six year old Chocolate Labrador. Does anyone else have a buddy in the garden?

• My little dog Rosy comes on my gardening rounds with me. She is a constant companion, and will sit in the sun until I am finished, unless there is a mouse hole, in which case she will spend her whole day with her nose in it. She is very good, and knows not to chase the client's cats, and doesn't charge through the borders. All my clients love her, one particular old gentleman always has a bag of Rosy snacks ready for our visit!
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    My choccy lab tends to come out when ive finished to see what ive done, and generally pee up my favorite plant! If there is any loose soil where ive been digging, he cant resist, digs a hole and lies in it! Whats that about? Dumb dog image

What variety is rosie? image
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Bekki lol "variety" you've got plant feverimage Breed? image

• Rosy is a pug terrier cross, really cute! And so full of character she can almost talk! Not sure how to post a pic in this reply, as I'm on an ipad.
    I was trying to think of that word, i nearly ended up with flavour! Senior moment ! image
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

I have my Beau, don't know about buddy! He follows me and sticks his big head in my way with everything I do! Or stands right in my way as I try to get by, he fills holes fast as I dig them, he runs off and chews up the plastic plant pots, he pees up my plant pots and borders, chews any bare branches he can reach, runs off with my kneeling pad, runs off with my trowel and secateers, empties my weed basket fast as I fill it, brings all cuttings out of recycle bag into house, trips me up, fights my hose pipe, runs off with my garden chair cushions and gets them all muddy and YES I wouldn't have it any other way image 

I bet your neighbours roll around laughing image
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    My gardening buddies are both a help and a hindrance, 2 beagles, my dog lives to, lie outside, he would stay out all day if I let him and he follows me around when I'm pottering.

My little lady beagle follows,me too and just sits and watches.

Both of them eat the windfall apples and plums and Ollie destroyed my 2 poppies I had grown from seeds, he just decided he didn't like them in the pots where they were in my little 'nursery' area and pulled them out!!
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

A few years ago my daughter raised 2 chickens from eggs.

We let them out in our garden and they would follow me everywhere.When I was digging holes etc they were straight in there scratching about.They kept tripping me up so I had to be really careful!

No buddies with me now,just me in the garden.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings