Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardening by the Moon

Just picked up my Lunar Calender for 2014 this morning. Is anyone interested in taking up the challenge to try this method of gardening with me this year instead of or beside standard methods as an experiment? As previously posted, last year was my first year and I was really sceptic but it worked.

I can 'post up' what we are suppposed to do each day for the week  starting 1st Feb and it would be great to compare notes. It doesn't matter where you live, the rules still apply. It would be good too, if Gardener's World had an article each month on the subject.

Any takers to form a group of some sort on the Forum?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I'm willing to give it a try.  Did it a few years ago and it worked fine but haven't always found the calendar since and the last two gardening years were wiped out by various ops to reconstruct failed bits of my skeleton.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • I've read a bit about this and often wondered how much of difference it would make. I must say am somewhat convinced what results did you have biofreak

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    I would love to but am limited to when I can garden with work, unless it's actually done my moonlight and then it won't be a problemimage I would follow any thread and exults with interest though.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I was all ready with my head torch for a minute then!!

Lol Clarington, that's what I though the other day when I read something on another thread image
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I think along similar lines to Verdun on this but it would be interesting to compare the two approaches...that's if posters don't get too competitive and start rolling about on the forum floor...image 

No good comparing anything I do, as a newbie I won't be any where near up to scratchimage
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

No probs TN, biofreaks doing it by the moon for the first time, there could be others who have grown that way since Adam was a lad but we can learn from each other...

Sometimes urban legends need to be tested...the number of gardeners that go out by torch light to catch slugs in the belief they are making a difference was squashed last week for me when I read there are hundreds in the soil just waiting to replace them..so killing 12 slugs in a night isn't going to have a huge impact on the grand scheme of things but if it increases the feel good factor gardeners will continue to do it...I'll get my coat...image 

Urgghhhh, you wouldn't catch me going out catching slugs, I hate the things, they make me feel sick and I would rather just put slug pellets down image