London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 82 messages
28/01/2014 at 15:47

Just picked up my Lunar Calender for 2014 this morning. Is anyone interested in taking up the challenge to try this method of gardening with me this year instead of or beside standard methods as an experiment? As previously posted, last year was my first year and I was really sceptic but it worked.

I can 'post up' what we are suppposed to do each day for the week  starting 1st Feb and it would be great to compare notes. It doesn't matter where you live, the rules still apply. It would be good too, if Gardener's World had an article each month on the subject.

Any takers to form a group of some sort on the Forum?

28/01/2014 at 16:16

I'm willing to give it a try.  Did it a few years ago and it worked fine but haven't always found the calendar since and the last two gardening years were wiped out by various ops to reconstruct failed bits of my skeleton.

28/01/2014 at 16:44

I've read a bit about this and often wondered how much of difference it would make. I must say am somewhat convinced what results did you have biofreak

28/01/2014 at 19:29
I would love to but am limited to when I can garden with work, unless it's actually done my moonlight and then it won't be a problem I would follow any thread and exults with interest though.
28/01/2014 at 19:59

I was all ready with my head torch for a minute then!!

28/01/2014 at 20:00
Lol Clarington, that's what I though the other day when I read something on another thread
28/01/2014 at 20:16

It's not about gardening by moonlight but to do with phases of the moon.  A famous  advocate, John Harris, lives down here and he is persuasive.

However, it's not for me.  I sow and plant according to the weather, soil conditions and season.  I do fairly well.  

I think moon gardening just makes a simple, basic everyday subject (gardening) unnecessarily complicated

Its an interesting theory.  Nothing to lose by trying it.

28/01/2014 at 21:03

I think along similar lines to Verdun on this but it would be interesting to compare the two approaches...that's if posters don't get too competitive and start rolling about on the forum floor... 

28/01/2014 at 21:17
No good comparing anything I do, as a newbie I won't be any where near up to scratch
28/01/2014 at 21:34

No probs TN, biofreaks doing it by the moon for the first time, there could be others who have grown that way since Adam was a lad but we can learn from each other...

Sometimes urban legends need to be tested...the number of gardeners that go out by torch light to catch slugs in the belief they are making a difference was squashed last week for me when I read there are hundreds in the soil just waiting to replace them..so killing 12 slugs in a night isn't going to have a huge impact on the grand scheme of things but if it increases the feel good factor gardeners will continue to do it...I'll get my coat... 

28/01/2014 at 21:56
Urgghhhh, you wouldn't catch me going out catching slugs, I hate the things, they make me feel sick and I would rather just put slug pellets down
28/01/2014 at 23:06

Well, I can say the damage I have from slugs and snails is dramatically reduced by hand picking.  E.g. Slugs target salvias early in the season....I catch them.  End of damage.  Lupins are attacked by small snails after flowering....I pick them off.  No further damage.  I can site several instances.  

Hand picking does work despite any reports about the numbers of slugs existing in the soil.

28/01/2014 at 23:14
I just couldn't do it Verdun, it might work but I could not physically pick a slug or snail up, urghhhhhhhh I am a lot braver than I used to be, as long as I have gloves on, but just couldn't do it. Last summer there was one in the kitchen and I had to shout my OH in to move it!!!! Softy me
28/01/2014 at 23:23

Tracey I do understand.  Not the most enjoying thing in life 

29/01/2014 at 15:01

Getting back to the Moon!!---No you don't do it at night - That's for Druids I think!

I had great results last year and I did run a patch alongside and garden normally. Found I got more crops plus things actually came up as predicted even though it was really hard to resist gardening on a non gardening day - which you must do. Plus you must not use chemicals . I did follow my heart on the non moon patch and I have to say things did not work out as well despite being an Organic Gardener. So - I'll put together a short piece on how the Moon is supposed to work and set up the Diary with tips and wrinkles according to my 'Moon' mag each week. By the way - it doesn't matter where you live, hot, cold, wet or dry - I'm in Normandy bang opposite Jersey, but still get vicious winds and cold in Winter on the diagonal North east.  By the way the Moon Guide covers pruning/flowers and fruit not just veg - So any Doubting Thomas's out there - why not give it a go?

29/01/2014 at 22:41
It sounds really interesting and as I said, I will follow your posts with interest. Unfortunately I don't think I can join in as I need to garden when work allows and make the most of dry weather. If I was working on a gardening day for example I couldn't do it and then if it's fine on a non gardening day but it's weekend, I have to get things done. I hope that makes sense and good luck with your project.
30/01/2014 at 00:56

Spoke to lady who told me her Mum gardened by the phases of the moon.

Did it work?  No.

30/01/2014 at 07:14
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)
I just couldn't do it Verdun, it might work but I could not physically pick a slug or snail up, urghhhhhhhh I am a lot braver than I used to be, as long as I have gloves on, but just couldn't do it. Last summer there was one in the kitchen and I had to shout my OH in to move it!!!! Softy me

Chop sticks are your friend 

Biofreak I'd be interested in learning more about this. Are there any articles you'd recommend?  

30/01/2014 at 16:39

The moon's Course in relation to Vegetable Gardening

The moon is deemed as 'ascending for the first thirteen and a half days of the month (During the period of New to Full Moon) crossing between the constellations of Sagittarius and Taurus. During this period the sap rises in the plants and it is the time to sow and gather all vegetables except roots (eg: Parsnips/Carrots)

The moon is deemed to 'redescend' towards the horizon during the following thirteen and a half days of the month between the constellations of Taurus and Scorpio. During this time, prepare to enrich the soil, prepare new beds, weed, prick and plant out seedlings. Divide herbs and pinch out tips on fruiting plants like tomatoes/aubergines and courgettes or pumpkins in particular.

Tomorrow I'll cover the plants associated with the different constellations and give you your first week's calender. Any questions so far??

30/01/2014 at 17:19

Biofreak...........was intrigued to read your posts on this.  Also that you are based in Normandy.

When I lived in France, the lunar method seemed far more popular than here in UK.  There were always plenty of calendars available for this purpose and the French Garden mags  always used to have sections devoted to lunar gardening.

Be interesting to follow results.

1 to 20 of 82 messages