Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardening courses

I am hoping to set up a gardening business in 18months time and am starting to plan now. I have a few years experience of hard landscaping/decking etc but no qualifications. I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend some beneficial courses I could take. They would need to be distance learning courses at present. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You can learn as much theory as you like lee, but I'd get in with a good local gardener and tag along. Theory is fine but practical experience is far more valuable.

• ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

Very interesting. I'd love to do a correspondence course on something horticultural.

• agree Dave with the practical experience and thanks for the good advice Mike. I do hope to pursue gardening to the higher realms as you put it Mike. I am due to leave the military and want to purse all aspects of gardening as a business. I am very confident with the hard landscaping, design and construction of gardens having got about 5 years experience in this prior to joining the military. I do not however have any real horticulure knowledge. Have seen a few courses ( distance learning ) out there but dubious of them with there high fees. Will they actually teach me anything worth while?

• I've posted this link on another work themed thread today:  http://www.southstaffs.ac.uk/courses/horticulture/

I attended a course here, purely recreational as my chosen career took me elsewhere.....maybe there is something similar in your area.

Good luck!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Lee, where do you live? When you leave the military, where will you be based?

If we know this, we may be able to recommend something in your area.

• Thanks Dave k. I will be based in hampshire area fiidgetbones.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491

The RHS gardening courses are reckoned to be the essential qualifications for professional gardeners, and most colleges used to provide them but I'm not sure these days. If you look at the RHS website, they should give you details of the courses (I think there's 3, beginner,intermediate and higher) and where in your district. I don't know if they do them online at all. From memory, they started about £70 odd per term?

Hope this helps.

North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • Nice one Lizzie27.

• ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

This looks pretty good to me!

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Courses/Qualifications