Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardens we Have Visited 2014

Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Last year I started a thread about gardens we visited. Some people sent some lovely photos  http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/gardens-we-have-visited-2013/80843.html  so I thought I would start another for this year.

We went to the Savill Garden in Windsor Great Park the end of April. It was pouring, they lent us umbrellas. No one else was in the garden except the ducks! 

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Excellent photo's. I visited Savill Garden in September last year. I liked the themed area's for the four seasons. It seems there's something to see regardless of when you visit.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I work very close to Savill Garden, but have never made it in.  Planning an extended lunch hour this year when the roses are in bloom.

Visited Hidcote and Kiftsgate a couple of weeks ago, but didn't take pictures.  But both well worth a visitimage

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

I visited RHS Hyde Hall a couple of weeks ago. I seem to have taken mostly  close up shots of plants with their labels but have one or two more scenic ones which I (hopefully) have posted. I unfortunately didn't take any photos of the dry garden which I thought looked great even so early in the season.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Good to see those. That's the one RHS garden I haven't been to.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Doddington Hall in Lincoln - can't believe we've lived near Lincoln for 12 years and never been!!  BTW - does anyone know what the white flower is - I am guessing white rocket (Hesperis Alba - Matronalis) - the sedum leaves are a red herring I think!!  image

It was all a bit 'between seasons' - the riot of wallflowers at the bottom giving way to the more subtle colours of early summer in the borders.  Asked OH (in my usual 'why don't you take an interest in the garden darling?' kind of way) which plants he would most like to have in the new garden I am carving out of our alkaline paddock, so he chose....

...the azaleas...image

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Nostell Priory yesterday

Not the best photos but enjoyable day at a GW 2for1 offer.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Both look lovely .... Bit far for me, so nice to see others photosimage

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Mrs. Garden - YES!!  We were on the 2 for 1 and all.  What a lovely little gift.  I hope the marketing department at GW read this stuff, so they appreciate that we appreciate!!!  Chicky, if it is any consolation, this morning I was looking at the booklet of gardens that came with the 2 for 1 card and sighing because we live so far from so many of the places I would like to see. 

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

The bluebell pics are right next to the children's play area which is excellent.

• Sorry, but I can't do pictures. went to Waterperry, near Oxford recently. Now in my top 3 of all time alongside Great Dixter ( Christo Lloyds) and ......oh yes, mine!!image