Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardner's World TV

Gardener's World (GW) TV is shamefully absent from our screens during far too many weeks of the year- Sarah Price (Silver & Gold RHS winner) should be offerred the job of GW presenter now to join the ageing team. She has the expertise and natural gift to become the anchor for this programme in a couple of years, with the chance to take GW forward and make GW a popular programme again, with content that delights and inspires     

• I quite agree with you, November to March is far to long to be with out any TV gardening. Why they dont show a few repeats to get us 'warmed' up I dont know, considering the rubbish that is repeated on TV, repeats of gardeners world would be a step up...even put it on one of the many +1 channels or digital/sky channels would be better than none. They did run some of the old ones through summer/autumn, but took them off in oct, which is daft, be better if they showed them through winter to cheer us up.  image

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Sarah Raven is on Wednesdays at 8pm and I can thoroughly recommend anyone with an interest in plants to watch "How to grow a Planet" on Tuesdays at 9pm.  Grasses this week.  Even "Pointless" has the occasional gardening question.  I think someone at the BBC has twigged how many million gardeners there are in the UK.

• Thanks for that, I like Sarah Raven, she has made me want to grow dahlias for the first time, got some tubers starting in the spare bedroom.image

• ziggyziggy Posts: 32
    Used to be a Sky channel called UK Gardens and they showed all the Gardeners Worlds from 1994 onwards was great watching Geoff Hamilton and Alan Titchmarsh who liked getting their hands dirty and didn't assume everyone had room for a orchard in their gardens like they do today. Why dont they sow you proper topics like cutting and removing a tree to make way for digging a new bed. Or is it down to 'elf and safety these days?

Perhaps Alan Titchmarsh will be doing just that, Ziggy, when he gives gardeners a helping hand on "Love Your Garden" later in the year.

• ziggyziggy Posts: 32
    Yeah hope so. Alll they do is show you the before and after with a team off screen doing for them and not showing how they achieved it, which is missing the point of how it is done.

All of youwho lie ornamental grasses should not miss "How to grow a Planet" tonight at 9pm on BBC2.  It is about how the planet changed when the grasses evolved.  The series has been fascinating.  Sarah Raven is on tomorrow night at 8pm.

• With the olympics and euro football not too far away,it`s guaranteed that Gardener`s World will be off air during this time.Why couldn`t the BBC start showing Gardeners World now.To me,gardening,is all year round.If the programme is going to move to Bristol,will Monty Don,be prepaired too travel that far.

I got into gardening when Toby Buckland was the presenter,I learn`t a lot from Toby,but found episodes with Monty`s back garden,week after week uninspiring.

Please don`t have Carol Kline has the main presenter,we visited her garden and found her in a bad mood and shouting at her staff,in public,not the smiley person you see each week on Gardeners World.