London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
5 messages
31/01/2014 at 20:28

Hello folks

I've grown my garlic this year in modules in the greenhouse, to get them started.  They are all growing away fine.  But when should I put them outside in the ground?  I live in the E. Midlands area.  Answers much appreciated.

31/01/2014 at 23:51

Are they a soft or hardneck variety nikki?

My garlic only went in the other day outside, they're perfectly hardy if a winter planting variety, and if you harden them off now they should be ok.

01/02/2014 at 17:01

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply.  Don't know if they are hard or soft neck variety, but they've been in the greenhouse since November time & have started to shoot.  I don't think I can keep them in modules for much longer, as they have a really good, strong root system!  (Perhaps I should just put them out in the ground & hope for the best)?

01/02/2014 at 18:17

Hi nikki, yes, if you have somewhere which isn't waterlogged (does anyone?!) I would get them out now.  They need a bit of cold to trigger the bulb to split into cloves.  If they don't get that they might just grow into larger single bulbs - still useable in the kitchen but not ideal.  Given the weather, putting them under open-ended cloches for a while might be a good idea to keep the worst of the rain off.

02/02/2014 at 15:29

Many thanks Bob.  Will put them under a cloche for a while - though my garden isn't too waterlogged.  The soil drains really well.    Appreciate the advice.

email image
5 messages