London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
14 messages
03/03/2014 at 17:02
In this mouth issuse Pippa said about use garlic to make pest deterrent so how do you make it and when to use it
Edd
03/03/2014 at 19:48

Garlic/ onion spray is good to disguise smells from carrot root fly and if in the soil then it is a deterrent for chaffer grub and wire worm. It has antiseptic/fungal qualities and is great for a cold, In humans, beforehand.

If you want natural deterrents with plants then thing about worm tea! (look it up)You will have to look it up untill i get there on my thread. 

If you are suffering from symptoms of cold/man flu. Then just suck on a hair dryer.

ARR!  I see your skepticism .  Believe me you will be astounded by the results!!!

Ask your doctor then? See what he says and then ask me again. 

I Am no doctor but apart from vit C before hand and during/after. Then the best you can do is a worm tea over spray.

AND A GOOD LONG INHALE OF A HAIR DRYER. ( Ask you doctor about this) 

Not too hot. but as hot as you can.

If you want the science, behind it,  then i will give it to you. 

Just ask your doctor first. You will be gob smacked.

Can you remember a post, not too long back, about using flame to neutralize brambles and other things on a new members allotment?

You will thank me,i promise.

Kind regards.

Edd.

PS. It could just be the smell of petrol in the car today. But i know better.

03/03/2014 at 21:37

Split a couple of garlic bulbs, use a garlic crusher to crush the clovers into a big pan of water and boil until tend then sieve out the garlic. I add oliver oil to the fluid at this stage. Then store the fluid in plastic bottles until ready for use. I store in milk bottle cartons. 

I only have a small area to spray so use one of the smaller plastic sprayers which can be picked up from places like Wilko for a few £'s. If you've sieved the fluid garlic doesn't block up the nozzle when you spray.

Now I'm happy to be wrong but the garlic puts off snails and slugs, anphids breath through their skin and if there are any on your plants when you spray the olive oil coats their skin.

I start spraying mid to late March every few weeks. Then when I've made some seaweed feed, spray the plants with this instead of the garlic and mulch plants with the spent seaweed, it's a bit  but the smell actually goes quite quickly and seaweed dries black.         

Edd
03/03/2014 at 23:24

Spot on Zoomer. 

The addition of oil makes it stick to the leaves.

Edd.

04/03/2014 at 17:01
Thanks you for help
23/03/2014 at 16:24

I've heard that washing up liquid works as a replacement for the oil ?

Does this mixture need to be diluted before use ?

23/03/2014 at 16:34

Don't forget that garlic is highly poisonous for cats!

23/03/2014 at 22:18

Chris...I don't use washing up liquid in the mix and am a none believer that it's kind to your hands...it's a detergent and if you need to spray again me thinks washing up liquid isn't going to be kind to the plant being sprayed no matter what the quantity.

25/03/2014 at 19:00

Thanks, i'll stick to oil.

Lyn
26/03/2014 at 10:53

Could you give the exact quantities of water to oil and at what strength its used in the watering can or spray bottle please.

26/03/2014 at 11:08

Presumably you need to use olive oil for tomatoes and other mediterranean plants but plain old vegetable oil will do for cabbages etc.?

Lyn
26/03/2014 at 18:51

Hang on, I'll ask hugh fernley wotsit.

26/03/2014 at 21:32

I don't follow an exact science in terms of quantities of oil/water and garlic. Just use the bigest pan I have, fill it with water and crush at least one full bulb of garlic sometimes two into the water, I choose any that may have started shooting first although none have yet, so then I'll use choose the smallest. The skin gets crushed and thrown in too.

As Edd say's it's the smell that confuses pests, the mix is also good for putting off slugs and snails. It doesn't kill them they just go and eat something else but if you'vre sprayed all your plants they might prefer to dine next door.

You can use any cooking oil, I cook with olive oil and buy it on special offer throughout the year to use when preserving stuff. In a ltre milk container there's probably about an inch when the fluid settles. Give the carton a good shake when you come to use it so the oil mixes into the water and pour into the sprayer.

I just use the pound hand sprayers from Wilko for the back garden. 

23/04/2014 at 22:13

I use the garlic peel to get rid of the black flies which breeds in my house plant. I just cover the surface of the pot with peel and in few days I can see the difference. 

email image
14 messages