Start a new thread

21 to 40 of 322 replies

punkdoc

How about this ? The floods are terrible no doubt, but at the moment there are about 50 houses flooded on the Somerset Levels and about 600 around the Thames.

In 2007, 25000 houses in Yorkshire were flooded during the "great storm". But then I suppose it is always grim up North!

I'll join the revolution why not. 

It is bad that anyone is flooded wherever they live but it is not just people's homes to thing about it is farm land and livestock all destroyed and an ecological disaster for the wildlife around there too.  I just hope all the promises the PM is making aren't just words.  The same area seems to have been flooded last year and no preventative measures taken, according to locals on the news.

Orchid Lady
Some muppet (whose name escapes me as he is so insignificant) has said that the homeowners living on the flood plains should take some of the responsibility/blame.......these are the worst storms rain for 200 years so how on earth can he work that one out, even some of the Queen's staff have been flooded. That remark probably made me more cross than anything today. That's my rant over
Edd wrote (see)

Did you see the lad who just got his first step on the ladder, with his new home?. and was flooded out. 

I just felt so sorry for him, scooping up foul water in a small bucket. So glad he had his dad there to help and hug him. I wished I could have helped him too.

Sorry,that wasn't a rant was it.

Sorry, my reply appears in the same box as the quote, not quite got to grips with this yet

Advertisement

Forester,  hope you are around next time too and can keep your husband under control and out of my feathers.  Hester

iGrow
Just to correct Mrs G from an earlier post, Spalding and the Fens were drained by the Dutch, not the Danish...
Orchid Lady
Very well said Mike, I couldn't agree more.....and you obviously had to get it off your chest at nearly 1.30am when I was fast asleep Hope you got some sleep after that.

It looks the flooding is going to get worse before it gets better too

As for building on rocks etc etc.....there is only so much high ground that can be built on and with the population increasing somewhat since 'Matthew's' day the houses had to go somewhere.

It's all too worrying and I don't think the answers are going to come any time soon
Atilla
Edd wrote (see)

I could mention the bedroom tax and lack of one bedrooms properties but we would just fall out and argue.

Kind Regards

Edd.

What is wrong with the 'spare bedroom tax'? It has been in operation in private rents for years and it brings publicly provided and subsidised housing into line. Try getting housing benefit for a 3 bedroom private let when you only need 2. There has been too much noise on this subject and little fact. 

Sorry Dutch not Danish! 

Alan4711

Morning all,i find it strange ,this country has nice rivers, lovely canals, and resavours that go dry in the summers some mainly relying just on rainfall, now am i missing somthing here or is  rocket science to build resavours where they can be fed by rivers and canals with lock gates for as and when needed, cant the farms be relocated to better and safer land that doesnt flood and given a hand starting up  again just like the miners were helped to relocate years ago from up north, why dont we use the resavours more for sailing,fishing,hollidaying, they would make wonerfull holliday venues, the kids would love them log cabins, chalets, caravans, indoor persuit for rainy days, and the water sodden areas would then be under control the water either going into the resavours or along the canals down to the sea, and who wouldnt want a break on a canal boat, the canals them selves built right would be  a nice place to live  and all this creating thousands of jobs building,catering,new pubs ,shops, cafes, and all bringing in revenue in different ways instead of  the powers at be saying theres going to be more of all this weather in the future and they say monies no problem, well get building then NOW

Edd, yes it does.

Not only me then

Cameron's back sliding on that comment today about money being no object.  How long was it this time before he broke his word, just a day!  Apparently he was just referring to the rescue effort not to preventative measures.

little-ann

i do wish you would stop talking about a BEDROOM TAX, as i understand it if you are claiming benefits to pay your rent and rates you can only claim for the amount of bedrooms your family needs

Ah yes..........but gardeners may need that extra room to house the plants we all keep buying and haven't the space for or indeed, can't plant out due to the awful weather

Advertisement

little-ann

you can have as many rooms as you like if you pay for them yourself 

Clarington

Re the young lad who had just brought his first house.

Fortunately, unless he has spun a dodgy deal or was unable to get flood cover (unlikely since I don't think it was a well known flood area), mortgage companies wont hand over the cash until you've got what they consider adequate insurance in place. Something we've just been through as we had to send the policy paperwork over to our solicitor before they could complete the sale.

I just hope that in order to save some cash he didn't then cancel it once he got the keys.

ahhh, just got in to find my plastic greenhouse, which was tied to the fence and had heavy items propped against it, on the floor with my tiny seedlings thrown out of their seed trays. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Sorry needed that. I will just have to start again.

Dovefromabove

Oh dear MMeerkat - sympathies - rotten storm - never mind, plenty of time yet to start again - when the weather improves 

MrsGarden

ah so sorry magicalM, scream away, cry a little then get gardening all over again.